• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to cleanly remove 6 cyl motor mounts?

mebco09

I'm still on the fence whether I am going to swap to a V8, I have a 302, mounts and all, just overthinking it. Once I go that way, I guess there is no going back.

My question is the best way to remove the 6 cyl. mounts/towers. Cut-off wheel, torch, ? etc. I'd like to do this as cleanly as possible. Body is off of the frame.

Thanks in advance.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If you are pretty good with a torch , it would work fine. If not than a cut off wheel would be fine. Just leave enough so you can finish it with a grinder.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A torch would be the worst thing to use, no matter how good you think you are with it. An angle grinder with a THIN cutting wheel (~0.040"), some hammers & chisels, and a LOT of patience would be best for the frame.

Once everything is off, clean it up with a thick grinding wheel. That's how I cleaned this...

(phone app link)

down to this:

(phone app link)

...and this...

(phone app link)

...to this:

(phone app link)

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT...
It would be helpful if you'd take several good pics of those I6 mounts, and post a bunch of distinct measurements for them so I can add that info to this diagram: ;)

(phone app link)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I'll probably be doing this very soon, body's off mine too, i've read cutoff wheel and grinder to finish is best, but I don't have a torch anyway ;D go for it dude

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
I used cut off wheels (yes more than one ) and took my time. Thought about the gas ax method but wanted to save the mounts.

CraigS

If you cut off the 6 cylinder mounts, you're just going to be back asking a lot of questions about v8s, EFI, serpentine belts and the like. Leave it as a six cylinder and drive. You don't need to go fast..........

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
if you cut off the 6 cylinder mounts, you're just going to be back asking a lot of questions about v8s, efi, serpentine belts and the like. Leave it as a six cylinder and drive. You don't need to go fast..........

damn you voice of reason!!!!!! ;D

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
You don't need to go fast..........

I don’t care to go fast in an EB Craig, to me it’s more about the rumble! Plus I know I’ll get multiple answers to my V8 questions on this forum vs hoping for just one answer within 24 hrs on the six forum

CraigS

You need to take into account who made the Isetta. My one and two cylinder Hondas are still going after 40-50 years with just oil and spark changes.
They do rock climbing, too.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I clearly stated if you are able to use a torch.

as stated if you are able, me not so much. my son in law could cut if off and very little grinding would be needed. see the difference? cut off wheels and patience will get you there just fine.

RonJones

Contributor
I don’t have experience with the I6 mount removal, but for removing the stock shock mounts, I found an air hammer with sheet metal chisel quite helpful when using a cut-off wheel to remove them.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
i6? go fordsix dot com

I cut my bent8 'triangles" off w/a torch. Don't heat the frame too much, tho.
(btw: got 500 HP ford 200ci i6 on the net - 2 me a bronk is not race or even rec but multipurpose - off rd wrk/DD).