• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Tick sound in solenoid and truck wont start....Help Please!!!

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
I got a new battery yesterday after letting the bronco sit around for 6 months. It started up no problem and I ran it around for about ten minutes. It started up no problem a few times before that.

I then put the Bronco on a flatbed trailer because I was bringing it down to Miami. After 8 hours of driving I try to start it to get off the trailer and all I get when I turn the key is a click sound coming from the solenoid under the hood. Im 22 and am learning about Broncos and engines in general as I go on. Any idea what happened during the tow and why it wont start. What should I do.???

I appreciate all the help guys...

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you may have a drain on the battery, try jumping it off and see what happens

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Sounds like you may have a drain on the battery, try jumping it off and see what happens

I tried jumping it last night, but it seems as though the battery is charged and even when I have the headlights on and I go to start the truck the headlights dont even dim. By jumping it off you meant jump the truck right with jumper cables right?

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
~~ Sound's like you might have left something on and drained the battery. You said you bought a new batt. what drained that batt. in the first place? I'd say you have a short somewhere or something is on to drain it in eight hour's. Jump it off and if it start's look for the drain on battery.;)

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
~~ Sound's like you might have left something on and drained the battery. You said you bought a new batt. what drained that batt. in the first place? I'd say you have a short somewhere or something is on to drain it in eight hour's. Jump it off and if it start's look for the drain on battery.;)

I left the Bronco sitting in a garage at my other home for about 6-7months with never being run so the battery just went out over time. Then I put the new battery in, the truck started fine and then it went on the trailer then 8 hours later it doesnt start and does the tick thing. I tried jumping it last night and got nothing, I tried to jump it of my buddy's new lexus so maybe I'll try it with a different car later.

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Haha I just got outta college I've had to type up so much BS over the years I'm pretty good at it now. I'll try the hammer smack and see what happens.

65 mustang

gently smack it. I watched a buddy put the ballpeen end of a hammer through the case.

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Thanks so much for the help...I'll be at the garage where the bronco is at in an hour or I'll give it a light smack and see what happens.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, it could also be that the starter relay finally gave up the ghost.

Kind of an all-of-the-above scenario.

You'd have to actually measure the battery voltage since the lights can appear normal and the battery doesn't have enough juice to run the starter.
But with your jump, you did kind of rule down (but not out) the dead battery thing.
Go ahead and try it again anyway. Along with all the other checks.

Paul

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Gentlemennnn, I have fixed the problem after troubleshooting and trying different things I went the route of the hammer and gave some love taps and tried the starter and it worked!!! It starts up perfectly just as it did before. Thanks again for the help!!! Cant wait to go cruise around tomorrow...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent! Now just make sure you carry your trusty hammer with you wherever you go.
And start thinking about a new starter if it does it again. Probably just getting old

Paul

ajl7742

Loc.
Cade, Louisiana
Unfortunately, hitting it with a hammer usually means it's gonna quit soon. I've done it many times and eventually it just wont work any more. I would change the starter before it leaves you in a bind. Take note about what was said about hitting lightly, I shattered the magnets inside once, then it's over.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
and when you get that new starter which should be soon, make sure you get a good one or you will be right back where you are now, cheap parts gets you cheap performance. ;D

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
You may just need to check all your cables good. Id take the starter cable off and clean it up around the bolt and on the other connections. You may just need to get a better connection. Check your grounds and clean them up good too. Id do all that before i bought a new starter.

OP
OP

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
You may just need to check all your cables good. Id take the starter cable off and clean it up around the bolt and on the other connections. You may just need to get a better connection. Check your grounds and clean them up good too. Id do all that before i bought a new starter.

Sounds good, I'll clean everything up and check the grounds and make sure all is well. If the starter does that to me again I'll grab a new one. Any recommendations on a good starter? What do you guys think about the one I linked below?

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/M_T_Mean_Green_Starter/starters