• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blueprint Engine Update

Torkman66

Contributor
I discussed in a prior thread how backlogged the new 302 Blueprint engines were and how I was getting put off month after month. Well that is behind me now and I can finally report on the motor I received. First, it came in a great container that was extremely well built and the motor was very secure.
IMG_7715.JPG

It was wrapped in plastic and had all the needed instructions tagged to the motor.
IMG_7717.JPG

I opted for the full dress motor for a number of reasons, and I am very pleased with the quality of the parts they installed.
IMG_7719.JPG

So the motor got put on the frame and all the rest of the drive train was installed.
IMG_7930.JPG

I did not like the huge BLUEPRINT blue letters on the valve covers so replaced those with some billet aluminum ones. I also wanted a better looking/performing air cleaner so changed that out as well.
IMG_8098.JPG

Put the body back on (pre-paint) and wired up the motor with a simple harness I built that includes mechanical Oil, Volts, and Temp gauges. I ran through the pre lube process by pulling all the plugs, ensuring fuel line not connected so as not to drop fuel into cylinders, and disconnected the hot lead from battery to coil. Cranked it over for about 20 seconds and the oil pressure came up smoothly to around 50 psi. Put the plugs back in, ran a fuel line into a gas can, connected the coil to 12v and cranked it over....nothing! After some investigative work, I determined that the fuel pump was not pumping any fuel. This was a very nice Holley style pump that came on the motor, but it was not pumping. I even tried to prime it (as was done with some older pumps) but no go. I went to AZ and picked up a cheapo $20 pump, intalled it, cranked it over, and she started right up. The high idle was near perfect. Once it settled down I did a quick timing check and it was spot on at 32 all in at around 3500. Went through the cam break in (although since it was dynoed befored being sent this was not really neccesary). But I let it run for 20 minutes between 2000 and 2400 rpm, varing the rpm the whole time. Shut it down and let it cool off. I did go in and call Blueprint and told them about the fuel pump and Brad in the tech shop over nighted me a new one...great customer service.

Next morning went out and she fired right up with a single turn of the key. This time I adjusted the Holley to sit at 800 RPM idle. Motor purred like a kitten. Never got above 180 degrees the entire time. So while I cannot say anything yet about longevity, I can say that the motor so far appears to be a nice build. Starts great, idles nice, and has great acceleration (sound only). More to follow once I get this on the road...after paint, wiring, interior, on and on and on!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Congrats! Glad to hear it's running so well! What kind of a shield is that on the air filter?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Went through the cam break in (although since it was dynoed befored being sent this was not really neccesary). But I let it run for 20 minutes between 2000 and 2400 rpm, varing the rpm the whole time. Shut it down and let it cool off.
Glad to hear it's worked out!! Did your motor come with a flat tappet cam?? I would've thought they were roller cams in the new blocks.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Flat tappet cam. This is their "Cruiser model" which gets 16 vac at idle but pulls 365 HP. You can get the roller cams in their higher performance motors, but this was good for my purposes.

That shield was something I made. I wanted a cold air intake setup but the plumbing is not very easy to work. So I got the idea of the air cleaner from Jason and Joni builds and then fabricated the bottom cone. It mounts to the rear of the filter and set about 1/2" off the filter around the bottom. It should block a lot of heat coming from the headers. It also has heat sheild on the underside that cannot be seen. It leaves plenty of room for fresh air to circulate. I'm pretty sure that it will get colder air coming through the grill.