• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken '74 Shift Collar Parts Issue

Toyaddict71

So I have a '74 with a C4 auto that I had shipped. The shipper managed to massively bind up the tranny so it wouldn't shift into gear. I caught him practically standing on the column shifter. After that it wouldn't shift into the low gear and getting into anything was a 50/50 guess. So I pulled it apart using Wildhorse's Youtube video expecting to find a broken collar. After I got it apart, my collar is cracked but doesn't match any parts I find available online. Mine has the shift indicator built into the collar itself. Not an additional piece I see on replacement pieces.. Also more concerning to me is the fact the shift tube came out with the collar. I didn't expect that. So now I'm wondering if I have additional damage further down the column.
Anyone have any experience with this? I've never torn the column apart, so not sure what I'm dealing with. Any recommendations or information on parts would be awesome! Thanks!

OP
OP
Toyaddict71

Toyaddict71

352p6pl.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a closer pic of just the collar with the indicator shown.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Not sure if this helps at all. I took all that out of my 73 OEM auto and went to a floor shift, but here is a pic of the parts if it helps any.
I believe the shift tube pulled right out on mine as well. (I left it out bc I switched to a smooth collar with no indicator or shift lever).
Mine was working fine when I removed it.
If you want that lower collar (with the shift lever) let me know and I can send it to you for a few bucks plus shipping. I think the upper collar is 1973 specific because it had the unshrouded plastic indicator piece as shown, but I BELIEVE (maybe someone can clarify) that the lower main collar part is the same as the 74. Let me know if you want it and we can work something out.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 30

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I am 99% sure my collar is not cracked. I can go down to the shed and take a pic of the inside tommorow

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I have a '74 with a C4 auto that I had shipped.

Hey, congrats on the new Bronco. Sorry it ended up with some drama.

The shipper managed to massively bind up the tranny so it wouldn't shift into gear. I caught him practically standing on the column shifter.

What a frickin' knucklehead! I can't believe that people still don't get it.
Especially when they're kind of in the business so to speak.

Good luck with it. Sounds like you might have a good donor to work with already though.
I'm not sure what the differences would be either. The main external change was what abn was mentioning with the actual PRNDL indicator. The '73 was just the clear plastic plate, while the '74 and later had a "hood" over the top. Probably to keep sunlight from making it hard to see, or maybe to let the single light bulb work better in the dark, without the edge showing too much.
Not sure.

Paul

OP
OP
Toyaddict71

Toyaddict71

ABN373- I sent you a private message. I'm interested. Thanks!
DIRTDONK- I've had the Bronco 15 years. I just moved and didn't want to drive if half way across the country. Yeah, the driver was a young kid. Not too bright either. Had the tranny so bound up on the truck, I had to jack up the rear wheels to free it up. Spun 35" tires 180 degrees to get it to free up and thats how he transported if from Maryland to Texas. By the time I got to him, he had already broken the shifter. Still not positive I don't have Tranny issue as well. Of Course the shippers have since disappeared!