• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buy a reman or used eec? What's your opinion?

Would you rather buy a good used eec or a reman unit?

• Buy the used eec (A9P)?

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Buy the NAPA reman eec (who knows what program you'll get)?

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Looks like I need a new eec for my rig. I have an A9P, and found one used for right at the same price as a NAPA reman. What's the concenses of buying a reman eec, it sort of looks like I need a VIN no. to order the correct code, but I'm not sure. Or would you roll the dice and buy another used eec?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If they're the same price get the reman. No guarranties with a used EEC.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
If you are not in a hurry (obviously does not apply in your case) you can get much better deals on used. I missed an A9P for $40 by a couple of hours, twice :(

ransil

Bronco Guru
TFM check advance auto last time I purchased one it was $97 plus $45 core, get any core from a junk yard for $20.

Just look up your application when buying..
92 Mustang GT Manual or Auto.

EEC part number for an A9L is E9ZF-12A650-AA

Attachments

• ADvance EEC.PNG
    ADvance EEC.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 17

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I bought a Cardan remanuf one. It was faulty. The remanuf come from one of two sources. Either they are used, tested and painted. or they are broke, tested ( and maybe fixed) and painted. I went through 3 eecs with mine. The only bad one I got was the remanuf.
Tom

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Work for Ford dealer, if you want to gimmie yo' info i'll see what i can do for ya. If nothing else might be able to get at a discounted price?

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Thanks Tasker, Steve G. works for the dealer here, they get their eec's from NAPA locally if Ford can't get them, he said they've never had problems with them. I'd for sure rather get a NOS eec, but doubt they exist or are cost effective.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
reman, they go through and replace parts that are known for going bad. And you get warrantee.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
drop me a line if you want me to look into it....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Remanned most used ones will be on there last leg as it is. I've seen 2 factory ones last about 10 years(although not A9P's) then they fail. Might as well get the warrentee with the remanned one its worth it. Otherwise you just out $150 when the used one fails.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
The used one I bought on a Mustang forum didn't work at all...
Used it for a core for a reman one from Napa and it works fine.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I made a stupid mistake many years ago and shorted out my computer. I went to a mustang junk yard and purchased another one for 100 bucks. That was way before they started getting popular. I originally had an auto but when I went to the yard all he had was for manuals. At the time I ddnt know there was a difference so I just plugged it in and it ran. Only years later did I realize I had it wired wrong.

Anyway... I dug out the old auto computer and took it apart... I found a burned trace on the board and soldered a tiny little piece of wire on it... and presto... it works perfectly. So I now have the original auto computer and a manual for a spare. I would trade this manual for an auto if anyone wanted to trade.

I typed all that to say that you may be able to repair yours for nothing.

What is it doing that makes you want to replace it?

Greg

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well Greg for starters I intermittently have no spark, which seems to be somehow tied to the spout connecter which is how the computer controls timing advance, when this happens the injectors don't fire. AND when I shake the eec there's at least 1 possibly 2 'parts' bouncing around in it.

I drive mine all over the place including several hundred mile one way trips, and I've been known to take unplanned solo wheeling trips, so absolute reliability is a must for me. If it were a trail rig I'd try to fix my eec, but you have never seen me solder wires together either:-X

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
AND when I shake the eec there's at least 1 possibly 2 'parts' bouncing around in it.

Sounds like your squirrels have lost there nuts.;)

MIght as well open it up and see what falls out. I've read there are a couple problem capacitors inside that could be replaced easily.