• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cause of Key falling out of ignition

67RT

Bronco Guru
So the key falls out while running. I will replace the ignition cylinder. I also want to retain the original key. Is the problem the pins or the cylinder? In other words, can I buy a new cylinder and transfer the pins over, or are they the cause my key is falling out? or do I have to inspect it to know. Thanks, Pete

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Mine did the same thing. I just bought a new cylinder and key and called it good. The keys are exact replicas to the stock key. While you are at it, might as well upgrade the doors to the ignition key switch that way they are keyed alike.

Im not sure on how the internals of the switch work. someone else will chime in.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Mine did the same thing. I just bought a new cylinder and key and called it good. The keys are exact replicas to the stock key. While you are at it, might as well upgrade the doors to the ignition key switch that way they are keyed alike.

Im not sure on how the internals of the switch work. someone else will chime in.

Yeah, My doors are good so I was going to try to rekey my new cylinder to the old key and was wondering if I can still use the old pins...

broncobilly72

I would call a local locksmith and see what he says. I would imagine to have him do it would be easier and cheaper than doing it yourself plus you would not have to change the door cylinders to be keyed alike.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
When you get right down to it it's because of the earths gravitational pull.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If they're standard pins, you should not have to keep the original worn ones. New ones can be used of the same value I would think.
At least that's how it works with the most common pin styles, but I don't know for sure about the ones used in our cylinders.

And yes, it could still be the key. But even that might be able to be overcome with a new freshly cut one.

Paul

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Start with replacing the key with a well cut new one. If the fit is still sloppy or the key still falls out, I would invest in a new cylinder. You can, if careful, pull the pins from the old one and swap them in to the new cylinder. Pins do not typically wear out on these things. Usually it is simply the cuts in the key being worn down to nothing or the pin holes in the cylinder being rounded out.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Also, you should limit the number of keys on and the size of your key ring. I see you're a pharmacist. You should probably have 2-4 keys on your ring; ignition, doors, back hatch, house. If you've got more than that, you should become a janitor or invest in a few more ignition cylinders. These things do not like 25lb key rings hanging off of them.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Also, you should limit the number of keys on and the size of your key ring. I see you're a pharmacist. You should probably have 2-4 keys on your ring; ignition, doors, back hatch, house. If you've got more than that, you should become a janitor or invest in a few more ignition cylinders. These things do not like 25lb key rings hanging off of them.

Not just with Broncos, but any keyed ignition vehicle, keep the weight of the keys and keyring hanging from the ignition switch to a minimum.

If necessary have a separate keyring or one that can be separated from the rest.

Personal experience the cheap ones that look like the internals are made from a bent piece of cotter pin last much longer than the pretty ones with ball bearings and a plunger.

OP
OP
67RT

67RT

Bronco Guru
Not just with Broncos, but any keyed ignition vehicle, keep the weight of the keys and keyring hanging from the ignition switch to a minimum.

If necessary have a separate keyring or one that can be separated from the rest.

Personal experience the cheap ones that look like the internals are made from a bent piece of cotter pin last much longer than the pretty ones with ball bearings and a plunger.

This is funny stuff. I only carry a few keys. Prioir owner must have ragged it out. Not the key because i can use any similar key to turn it on. That is why i was wondering if i need new pins or is there something else in the cylinder causing it..
i may become a janitor. Less stress but less cash for toys.

Attachments

• 20150110_155048.jpg
    20150110_155048.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 18

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's likely more a problem of the worn key than anything else. Mine is the same. A side benefit to the worn key is it can open other Bronco doors and bubble gum machines.