• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Champion radiator question?

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

EB i would like to run that radiator but from what i have read the tranny cooler is on the hot side? I know Viperwolf mentioned it a couple times in different threads. Does anyone make a radiator with cooler lines on the driver side with lower hose on the driver side? This way the cooler lines are on the cold side.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It more closely matches the stock bronco radiator dimensions wise (it's thicker and 1/2 less width than the one you posted) but yeah it's very close.

I run a manual trans so can't help on the trans cooler question.

Tim

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Does anyone know if the tranny cooler is on the cold side? I believe it is but I want to make sure before buying it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The cooler is on the side that the cooler lines from the transmission are on.

The inlet and outlet are switched to the opposite sides on the EFI radiators, but the cooler is the same, which puts it on the hot side.
This is due to the reverse rotation water pump for the serpentine belt drive.

The only way to get the cooler on the other side would be a fully custom made radiator and run the cooler lines across the engine compartment.

Simpler, easier and less expensive to use a regular radiator and crossover hoses.

EBGeek

Lagbolt, I'm not sure you can beat that radiator for the price. I've shopped around and that's the one I'm about to order. I'm personally not a big fan of having to retrofit a stock radiator.

I see it this way, @ $200 for the radiator, if the trans cooler is a deal breaker, or not keeping up with your tranny, you can always install an external cooler on the front of the radiator later on.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had the CC522 5.0L conversion, 3row Champion with great results. Two were with 351Ws and no over heating issues.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

sykanrong the one in my link is not a 5.0 efi conversion radiator. So if i use crossover hoses this should work. Does anyone no if the one in my link up top has the cooler on the cold side?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
sykanrong the one in my link is not a 5.0 efi conversion radiator. So if i use crossover hoses this should work. Does anyone no if the one in my link up top has the cooler on the cold side?

The radiator in your link has the cooler on the cold side. The cold side, is the side that the lower hose is on.

Mark

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Does anyone have a good link or part number for the crossover hoses that I need for the radiator in my link?

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

This is why I love this site. I really appreciate it.

Thanks Tom