• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Champion Radiator question

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I installed this one with my 351W upgrade/conversion
http://www.championradiators.com/American-Eagle-Ford-Bronco-radiator-shroud-1966-1977

I made the stock mounts work with some modifications to the rubber inserts/isolators. The cap that came with it was CRAP you will need to buy another one.

Cools my EFI 351W with no issues thus far. Did take a few weeks for delivery. They made mine after I ordered. I ordered from Jegs and got free shipping. Ended up being a few dollars cheaper.

Tim

707Bronk

It's quite a bit thicker. I had to relocate the top and bottom mounts to move the rad closer to the core support and make room for an electric fan.

I got their fan an and shroud and could not clear the water pump pulley. Then looked into their fan and decided it's cfm was marginal.

I couldn't find a Fan and shroud combo that would fit. Finally ended up getting a derale 2spd self shrouding fan that so far has done the job.

As Timmy said, the cap is junk, mine pukes out a little and need to get a new one.

But, the 3row radiator with the 2spd derale fan has kept my 351W cool, it hasn't even kicked into high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if that's the exact radiator, but one of my friends installed one recently in his '73 and the aftermarket shrouds did not fit. Not sure about a stock one, as we did not have one laying around.

The problem was that with either the body lifted shrouds or the standard, the lower radiator mounts interfered. You could make it work fairly easily, but it would require some slight cutting of the shroud for more clearance.

He's going to make the mods (if he hasn't already) so I'll let you know how it goes at that point.

Paul

707Bronk

I kept my lower mounts in the stock location but the uppers were flipped due to the long 96 van front serp dress I'm running. I was able to trim the stock shroud and use it in combo with the 17 inch electric fan WH sells
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/High_Output_Radiator_Fan_17in

Tim

Hey Tim - That is the same fan I got. I didn't know WH sold them. I went with it because my stock 2-groove v-belt pulley leaves little room for a fan and a shroud, and this fan is self shrouded and covers most (~70'%') of the radiator surface.

What did you use for the 2spd fan control?

I used a volvo 2spd relay and an audi 2spd thermoswitch. I have yet to hear the hi spd kick on, but I also have yet to have the temps get much over 200°.

I can't hear any audible difference when I power the fan speeds manually from low to high so I haven't really positively verified the 2spd setup is working as it should.

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Hey Tim - That is the same fan I got. I didn't know WH sold them.

What did you use for the 2spd fan control?

I went with a volvo 2spd relay and an audi 2spd thermoswitch. I have yet to hear the hi spd kick on, but I also have yet to have the temps get much over 200°.

I can't hear any audible difference when I power the fan speeds manually from low to high so I haven't really positively verified the 2spd setup is working as it should.

The SN95 Mustang ECM's have electric fan controls build into them and I'm running a SN95 TM04 ECM. I was able to use the ECM along with a 3 relay setup that EFI GUY helped with that mimics the factory SN95 Relay Control Module found on the 94-95 Stangs. I can send you the diagram if you want to take a look?

OK so I was worried about the 2 speeds as well. I found the instructions somewhere (maybe on line at Derale's site) mention the high speed on the fan will not come on unless it's already running in low speed. This is due to the AMPS it draws at start up from a stopped position being so high.

I know mine is working because when I do a self test using my hand held scanner (EOKO), it cycles the fan to Low and then to High. I can hear the difference but it was nothing like I expected. It's only a 500cfm increase when it goes to high and that's not that much. Really just about 1/5th faster fan speed.

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Found it

WIRING Important:
The Electric Fan Assembly is built using a High Output
two speed motor. If you choose to operate the fan using both
speeds, two switching devices or a Derale Dual Fan Controller
Part # 16788 or 16789 is recommended.

Important: Low speed must be activated prior to high speed activation

Tim

707Bronk

Yeah - I'll certainly take a look at the diagram you have.

Is the 3rd relay just a switched power/signal source to feed the other two relays? Thats basically what I have, but lowtech. My hearing is pretty bad, so maybe thats it. I thought about borrowing a anemometer from work to physically verify the increased cfms at hi spd, but haven't gotten around to it.

Sorry roparsons to sidetrack your thread, but hopefully some of this helps you as well.

707Bronk

Cool. Thanks Tim.

I'll have to look at the diagram for the volvo fan switch internal relay connections, but it looks the same from what I remember. Only difference is you are using the CPU as the ground triggers, and I am using a thermoswitch with two setpoints.

Mar1ne

Loc.
Sierra Foothills, CA
I have that radiator in my newly built engine (302, mild cam). I converted from the 6 cylinder with the weld in mounts. I had ordered the fan shroud, electric fan, and relay kit, which come to find out, as stated above, wouldn't fit. I'm running a 16" flex fan with a 1/2" spacer. This puts it about 1" away from the radiator. I'm also running a 180 thermostat. I haven't figured out a fan shroud yet, but the radiator hasn't passed 190, even on a 100 degree day while idling through town for 10 minutes.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Mine is a VERY tight fit due to the van front dress I was determined to use. I tried to use all the parts from the donor van that I could.

I have to do head gaskets again (long story) and I will more than likely pull the radiator and fan while at it. I'll try and get pics of the factory shroud and the WH fan mounded to the radiator. It can be done. I used a die grinder like you would to port heads and it made quick work of the fiberglass or whatever the factory shroud is made of. It all fits real nice together. Fan shroud and radiator goes in and comes out at one whole unit.

Tim

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
. I did not read any of the post. Sorry I read to slow.
... But if that is the same Champion raditor we all bought from E-Bay several years ago .
Yes I too bought one.. We called it the $102.00 radiator.
.. Mine is still going 8 years later. It didn't cool my 302 much better than what I had one it but somewhat better.
... Bt then I put in the Diesel motor & I used that same radiator & it has worked flawless ever since. I Had to drill some new hole in my shroud while I had the V8.. But my diesel I don't even run a fan blade on it.