• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete package 9" rear sanity check

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Need some help before I order a complete rear end. 1967 stock bronco small bearing rear end currently. Engine will be a 347/351 mated to a 4R70W. I have the trans already, just trying to decide to have a local place rebuild or buy another already rebuilt from a vendor such as blueprint. Based on the gear calculator, 4.56 would be the best ratio for me as this will see mostly on-road driving, my wife will be the primary driver. She loves powerful engines, and burning rubber but I want it to drive nicely around town/highway, so overdrive is necessary.

My plan is to order this setup from Currie, I tried 3 places and they are the only ones who reached back out to me with any answers. Here is what I plan to order, and I was hoping if there is something I am overlooking or doing incorrectly, now is the time to fix it. So far, the only difference I can see about this complete setup from Currie is the location of the vent. I will have to customize my rear hard lines and not be able to use stock ones. Everything else looks to be the same as stock as far as fitting on the bronco. I am going with Currie's 11" drum brakes, no disc in rear.

31 spline axles
4.56 gear ratio
Eaton Truetrac
1310 Yoke (I believe this is stock size)
11 inch drum brakes
1/2 pressed in studs
5x5.5 bolt pattern
Torino ends (only option)

Currie said that the shock mounts are all in the stock location and it should just drop right in without modification. Just want to make sure I don't overlook anything since now is the time to buy what works best in this situation. I also asked Currie about a Dana 44 complete axle, more inline with stock configuration, I don't need anything built as strong as the current one they offer for our broncos. They don't build one like that unfortunately, probably not enough demand.

Any advice or criticism is welcome, I am not 100% set on Currie, but besides price, I don't see any reason to be worried about ordering from them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know Western Differential in Tucson has early Bronco packages as well. No idea what current pricing is. They are all build to spec.

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
If you're going with 4:56 and the od tranny I'm guessing you're running 33's?
Yes, I plan on moving up to a 17" wheel and should be around 32 or 33". I bought a wildhorses4x4 2.5" lift years ago that will be going on. The bronco was restored back to uncut and I have a 1" body lift. I will also move the axle back 1" to center it in the wheel well.

Yeller, that is what I am hoping for, worry free for the long haul. I looked up so much info on this forum and others, I wanted to make sure I didn't forget something obvious.

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I know Western Differential in Tucson has early Bronco packages as well. No idea what current pricing is. They are all build to spec.
I am still waiting on them to get back to me. I know they are busy from the notice on their website, but I have tried email, voicemail, web form, cup and string, ect. for a couple of months. They may be so busy that new work isn't an issue though. I will try again before I order from Currie.

I also contacted Quick Perfomance, they did get back to me, but I needed to give them every spec, width, pinion offset, perch location and angle. They don't have a bronco package on their website so I anticipated this, but I hoped they had all this info already. I am sure if I gave them these specs, they would be able to get me a complete rear as well.

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I am still waiting on them to get back to me. I know they are busy from the notice on their website, but I have tried email, voicemail, web form, cup and string, ect. for a couple of months. They may be so busy that new work isn't an issue though. I will try again before I order from Currie.

I also contacted Quick Perfomance, they did get back to me, but I needed to give them every spec, width, pinion offset, perch location and angle. They don't have a bronco package on their website so I anticipated this, but I hoped they had all this info already. I am sure if I gave them these specs, they would be able to get me a complete rear as well.
Just to update this. I talked to Western Diff today, they are no longer building OE bronco rears. They will do a Fab 9 housing, but no more stock type housings. I want to stay with the stock style housing so Currie still looks like the front runner.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Just to update this. I talked to Western Diff today, they are no longer building OE bronco rears. They will do a Fab 9 housing, but no more stock type housings. I want to stay with the stock style housing so Currie still looks like the front runner.
I ended up with an extra big bearing 9 inch with heavy duty drum brakes, and I also have a set of 4.57's and a 31 spline detroit. The housing is perfect, and came from California, so no rust or pitting. It's super nice. I have one with the dual shock mounts welded on, and the other does not.

I sent you a PM.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I like the Currie diff - TrueTrac is great, gear ratio sounds good, 31 spline axles of course, and Currie is a reputable company with a good reputation.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would step up to after market center section if Currie doesnt use one.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I would step up to after market center section if Currie doesnt use one.
Currie's sales literature says that he does include an after market center section, If, (and only if...) you are going to upgrade to a 3.25 carrier bearing, then I am 100% in agreement.
I will never understand why people choose to pay good money for an upgraded 9 inch, and still keep the original 2.891 small carrier bearings. The D0OW-B Nodular case has always bothered me. I do run the C4AW-B Nodular with the 3.062 bearing case in my Shelby...but I think it's dumb. I will never understand why anyone would ever go to the expense of "upgrading" to heavy duty components, but then not actually upgrade.

This takes me back to the whole reason for why the 9 inch is legendary. It is great because box stock, you could get a $75 junkyard axle and run it without fear. The notion of upgrading a 9 inch is silly. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a Ford 9 inch, it had better come back with 35 spline shafts, Explorer Discs, and an ARB. And if I do that, I might as well build a 60.

Rant's over. Now I will have two big bearing 9 inch Bronco axles for sale. I'm Gonna go build another 60 now. (meaning today...) @Rustytruck thanks for reminding me why I always end up there. You just saved me a huge headache...

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I ended up with an extra big bearing 9 inch with heavy duty drum brakes, and I also have a set of 4.57's and a 31 spline detroit. The housing is perfect, and came from California, so no rust or pitting. It's super nice. I have one with the dual shock mounts welded on, and the other does not.

I sent you a PM.
Thanks James, I replied to your PM.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Currie's sales literature says that he does include an after market center section, If, (and only if...) you are going to upgrade to a 3.25 carrier bearing, then I am 100% in agreement.
I will never understand why people choose to pay good money for an upgraded 9 inch, and still keep the original 2.891 small carrier bearings. The D0OW-B Nodular case has always bothered me. I do run the C4AW-B Nodular with the 3.062 bearing case in my Shelby...but I think it's dumb. I will never understand why anyone would ever go to the expense of "upgrading" to heavy duty components, but then not actually upgrade.

This takes me back to the whole reason for why the 9 inch is legendary. It is great because box stock, you could get a $75 junkyard axle and run it without fear. The notion of upgrading a 9 inch is silly. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a Ford 9 inch, it had better come back with 35 spline shafts, Explorer Discs, and an ARB. And if I do that, I might as well build a 60.

Rant's over. Now I will have two big bearing 9 inch Bronco axles for sale. I'm Gonna go build another 60 now. (meaning today...) @Rustytruck thanks for reminding me why I always end up there. You just saved me a huge headache...
And why my latest project has a Dana 60, dollars, cents and pinion height.

Nothing wrong with a 9”, but when you need everything a 60 makes sense and if doing 8 lug a 14 bolt.

OP
OP
hsach

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I just ordered a complete rearend from Currie.

31 spline
Eaton Truetrac
1310 Yoke
11" drums

When it comes in I will update this with pictures. They answered any question I had, very responsive. I also want to mention Quick Performance, they don't have an off the shelf bronco package, but they contacted me several times and were very willing to work with me to get all of the measurements needed to get a bronco rearend built to my specifications. I wouldn't hesitate doing business with Quick in the future just based on that.

Now back to my front end...............