• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crate 302??

Torkman66

Contributor
Looking into possibly doing a crate 302. I have a fresh rebuilt bronco c4 already to install. I know there are various year groups of 302s. Will an 80s 302 work and match up with my C4? Any other considerations when selecting a 302? Does it have to be a 1970s??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
80's 302 (or 5.0 as they are often called) will work. But the engine balance changed about '82. You have to use the correct flexplate AND damper balanced that matches the engine. All 3 (damper, engine, flywheel/flexplate) are either 28 or 50 as a package.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
OK, I've looked at crate 302s and 351s. Clearly the 351 is a superior motor but it does require a number of mods to make it work. I do not want to put a scoop on the hood and also understand there are several other minor mods required as well. For this restoration, I think the 302 will serve my purposes. I do have a running 302 now that came out of the Bronco and I tore it apart today to check condition and see if it was a good candidate for a rebuild (I can rebuild it myself). But, there are always things you find with an old bronco that you are not aware of at first glance. Here you go.

1. It is a tired old 1979 302 with block casting D9OE-1615-E3A (1979 LTD II maybe?)
2. If my memory serves me, these were real dogs of an engine. Something like 135hp. I could add a 4bbl, headers, and ?? to plus up HP.
3. The timing indicator was under the water pump on the passenger side. Can it be moved to drivers side and a new TDC mark created for it and possibly a timing tape? It will need a new Harmonic Balancer...do they come with the timing marks keyed to discplay on the drivers side? Is that just a basic Bronco 302 HB?
4. This block had original cylinder walls (no previous bore), flat top pistons, a loose timing chain, signs of an overheated cam, and most of the bearings showed brass...very tired indeed.
5. Cylinder walls looked pretty good, crank looks good, heads look good, but all will require machining (probably 10 under on crank and 30 on cylinders.

So, I can rebuild this motor. Master rebuild kit about $500 (pistons to cam). Machining about $500. Heads refurbished about $400. Performer intake about $350. That puts me at about $1800. Plus all the accessories (water pump, fuel pump, alternator, carburetor, headers, Dizzy, Har Bal, Valve covers)...probably another 1800-2000. That puts me close to $4000.

Is this motor worth it? Should I look for something different?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'79 is still an old engine. Same 28 oz-in as original.
Use the Bronco timing cover, damper, pulley, timing marker, and everything else in front off the Bronco and it will feel like a Bronco.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Ok, figured out what I wanted to do. Hsach, I looked into the new Blueprint 302s and ordered one. They are truly amazing engines at a great price. There is a long waiting list, I wont get one until February or March, but worth the wait! These are brand new motors. I ordered one FULLY dressed down to the sparkplugs and wires! They come with the needed Bronco oil pan and will bolt in. Just add the starter, alternator, and radiator and its ready to go. I was wanting a fairly stock setup but with a bit more HP than the 135 rated HP my 1979 302 delivered. This new 302 from Blueprint is prefect for my needs.

BluePrint Engines 302CI Cruiser Crate Engine | Small Block Ford Style | Deluxe Dressed Longblock | Aluminum Heads | Roller Cam | Carbureted | Rear Sump Pan
  • HP & Torque: 361 HP / 334 FT LBS
  • Compression Ratio: 9.4:1
  • Aluminum Heads
  • Hydraulic Roller Cam
  • Cast Steel Crank
  • Hypereutectic Pistons
  • NEW BluePrint Cast Iron Block
  • 4-Bolt Main
  • 4.000" Bore
  • 1-Piece Rear Main Seal
  • Mech fuel pump provision: Yes
  • 3.000" Stroke
  • OEM type 5.090" connecting rods
  • Hypereutectic pistons
  • 50oz External balance
  • BluePrint Aluminum Cylinder Heads -HP9008
  • 60cc chamber
  • 2.02" intake/1.60" exhaust valves
  • 190cc intake/60cc exhaust runners

• Roller Cam
  • .533 Intake / .544 Exhaust
  • 215 Intake / 220 Exhaust Duration
  • @ .050 - 114 Degree Lobe Separation
  • Rear Sump Oil Pan
  • Distributor
  • Harmonic Balancer
  • Water Pump
  • Intake Manifold
  • Spark Plugs and Wires
  • Valve Covers
  • Timing Cover
  • Dyno test results shipped with engine

WARRANTY:​

• 30 month / 50,000 mile
  • This engine is an excellent cruiser and daily driver engine. This engine makes up to 16 inches of vacuum, and is designed to work excellent with power brakes, stock torque converter, stock gearing, and run on 87 octane fuel
Delivered to my door, shipping and tax.....$6710.00 (no core req.)

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I agree! Now I'll need a 50oz externally balances flexplate and I need to find a quality torque converter since mine is a 10.5 bolt pattern.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
That sounds like a great engine! Can't wait to hear about it when you get it installed.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I have installed a 2.5" SL and upgraded to 4:11 front and back running 33s. I'm hoping this increase in HP together with these other mods will be a nice combo. I