• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crate motor options/opinions

SeaVee

Contributor
So I am “attempting “ to restore my 77. Was gonna have a local guy go thru the motor but he's way backed up. I've had good luck with my reman Jasper motor (8.1). My main requirement on this build is reliability, I don't want a crazy built motor just something stock or a little better than stock, preferably with a warranty. Looking for suggestions/opinions. Don't want to spend crazy money.
TIA

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe many on here like Blueprint brand.

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
At this point your best bet is a rebuild of current. Blueprint and all the Bigs of crate motors have ZERO stock for months. Blueprint and ATK come with great warranties backed up with awesome support.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Given the backlog of everything everywhere, what about finding a relatively low mileage Explorer 5.0 and swapping it in. I would probably open it up and throw some new bearings at it depending on mileage, new seals and then call it a day. You don't have to run the EFI stuff...but you could hang onto it if you wanted to upgrade later or sell it to offset some of your costs. You don't need to run the serpentine, but it is superior and would be an upgrade over the factory front dress, so why not? There are other 5.0's from pickups, vans and such that don't have all of the goodies, but if you're just going to move your intake, carb and front dress onto it, it shouldn't matter.