• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 speedo gear tooth count flavor

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. the question of the day for me is which tooth count is more likely installed in a 71 D20, 6 tooth or 7? I have several variations of driven gears, and understand that drive gear tooth count matters, just have never heard if one is more popular in stock form than the other.

thx

Hank

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It depended on gear ratio and original tire size. If you know what driven gear you have installed, mph at speedo and current tire size you can make a good educated guess using the chart I've posted before.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4.1 ratio and E78x15 tires originally.

i used that chart to buy targeted gears. im not sure if i will go with 33 or 35" just yet, but was going to start with the 17 tooth driven gear. Has 33 inch rollers on it now that i can check accuracy with once i can drive further than around my dooryard.

Hank

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
My 74 was 7 tooth when I discovered it in this shape

attachment.php

How many do you have? No one makes these gears so you are sitting on a gold mine. I got lucky and found 1 at Toms

attachment.php

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It depended on gear ratio and original tire size. If you know what driven gear you have installed, mph at speedo and current tire size you can make a good educated guess using the chart I've posted before.

does that help figure out which drive gear was in the tcase originally? None of this is mission critical right now, but am buttoning up wiring ahead of exhaust and would be nice to be pretty close from the get go.

thx

Hank

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

does that help figure out which drive gear was in the tcase originally? None of this is mission critical right now, but am buttoning up wiring ahead of exhaust and would be nice to be pretty close from the get go.

thx

Hank

Not really. Why don't you just take a look at it and see if it's blue or green?

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that might work. might need a mirror but will give it a shot.

thx

hank

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not really. Why don't you just take a look at it and see if it's blue or green?

i poked my head up in there last night. it looks lighter than blue or green. i will have to stick an old toofbrush in there to get it cleaner i guess

Hank