• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota Digital BIM-01-02 error 8?

1buckeyefan1

Has anyone else used the Dakota Digital BIM-01-02 module with their Explorer swap ECU? I'm trying to use the BIM to get transmission position, and a few other data elements for my RTX gauge cluster. About every other time that I key-on, I get an error code '8' on the BIM module and no data from my ECU. I key off and back on and I usually get the F (Ford) and the blinking dots showing i'm connected.

I called Dakota support and they didn't have any concrete answers for the '8' code other than the ECU is sending something the BIM doesn't understand. Per their suggestion, I removed the Green and White pins since they aren't used for Ford and continue getting the same response.

Has anyone else tried this setup and seen a similar error?

Attachments

• BIM error 8.jpg
    BIM error 8.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
  • RTX error 8.jpg
    RTX error 8.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21
  • RTX normal.jpg
    RTX normal.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 20

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Is it still a factory ford ECU? Has anyone been in it doing some tuning? It’s possible if it isn’t factory still they changed something that the DD bim can’t recognize. I would also check your continuous power to both the ECU and RTX module. Not being consistent makes me wonder if they power up slightly off from each other and the communication gets messed up.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Is it still a factory ford ECU? Has anyone been in it doing some tuning? It’s possible if it isn’t factory still they changed something that the DD bim can’t recognize. I would also check your continuous power to both the ECU and RTX module. Not being consistent makes me wonder if they power up slightly off from each other and the communication gets messed up.

It's a factory 2001, but modified by EFIGuy for the Explorer swap. I agree, per the DD tech, the 8 means something the BIM cannot interpret.

The power theory was also mentioned on another forum that I posted the problem. It sorta makes sense.. but usually when the BIM doesn't get a reading (ie, not plugged in), it flashes between F, C, etc looking for the signal/protocol. I have the DD control pack on my continuous (radio) circuit. I may try to put a temp switch in to delay switched power to the BIM to see if that has any impact. (to ensure it turns on after the ECU is powered on)

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Can you connect through the DD app and see what your gauges are receiving? I can do this in setup mode on my HDX.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

So i did a test and put a switch in between so I can manually delay the startup of the RTX/BIM a few seconds after i key on. . Initially, i wasn't getting the '8', but if I let it sit for a few mins, key on, wait a few seconds, then switch on, i'm still getting the '8'

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
So i did a test and put a switch in between so I can manually delay the startup of the RTX/BIM a few seconds after i key on. . Initially, i wasn't getting the '8', but if I let it sit for a few mins, key on, wait a few seconds, then switch on, i'm still getting the '8'
Ahh, ok, have you tried changing the BIM ID? Do you have any other bim modules connected? Maybe there's a conflict if so. Just a thought.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Ahh, ok, have you tried changing the BIM ID? Do you have any other bim modules connected? Maybe there's a conflict if so. Just a thought.
Just one BIM. Thx for the ideas. I asked the DD tech if changing the ID would make a difference (after I tried a few) and he said those only apply to the J1850 protocol, which isn't this era of ford :(

Nothing much from the app either. When I get the 8, it appears to simply not make the handshake. And no data for any inputs I used the BIM to supply.

Once I key off and back on, it syncs just fine..
75f2696d2836ccefff42a7e9189be34d.jpg
9720567eb39cca71c4c013535d7fceb1.jpg
f9cb9d4ad3744702b6847926d503f70b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, that's strange. There's got a be a reason though. Maybe something interfering or maybe a bad connection on the bim wires, but why does it work when you key off and on...?

If it were me, I'd run a temporary two new wires to the ECU and rule that out. Could be pinched and grounded or something somewhere, or just a bad wire or connection and if so, hopefully not in the ECU connector or ECU itself.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Here's the latest on my troubleshooting. If I Key On after it sits for enough time for the control box to sleep, the BIM throws an error '8'. If I quick disconnect/reconnect the BIM to the RTX control box, it is always recognized. It doesn't matter if I leave the BIM disconnected at first when I KO, it throws an 8 until I disconnect/reconnect it. If I KO before the RTX control goes to sleep, it still recognizes it successfully. I'm pretty sure it's between the BIM and the RTX control. I used a new Dakota wire to connect the two.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Pain in the butt by I guess hide a quick on/off switch in line so you can turn it off and on “disconnect/connect” quickly without having to actually use the key.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Here's the latest on my troubleshooting. If I Key On after it sits for enough time for the control box to sleep, the BIM throws an error '8'. If I quick disconnect/reconnect the BIM to the RTX control box, it is always recognized. It doesn't matter if I leave the BIM disconnected at first when I KO, it throws an 8 until I disconnect/reconnect it. If I KO before the RTX control goes to sleep, it still recognizes it successfully. I'm pretty sure it's between the BIM and the RTX control. I used a new Dakota wire to connect the two.

But it's the BIM module that shows the error and not the RTX, so that doesn't really make sense...although none of it really does anyway. Not sure why power would change anything unless there is a problem with one of your boxes or wiring.

What I mean is, the BIM module shows the error, then the error is the info TO the bim module, I guess unless that error means there's an error with the comm to the RTX. Strange that they can't tell you what 8 means.

When it shows the 8 on there, is there any status indicator light in the too left of that window or just the 8 and nothing else? Supposed to flash steadily when receiving data. Mine does.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Does the gauge work with all the inputs not from the bim? If it is between the RTX and BIM I would look at buying a new cable just in case there’s a break in the wire. Next would be to see if DD will take the BIM back for testing and possibly sending you a new one.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
test the cable, don't just buy a new one.

DD support is outstanding and they stand behind their products. I've gotten fantastic support from them with my oddball setup.

Nothing but top notch and made me glad I bought so much pricey stuff from them.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The reason I said to buy a new cable is I think there’s a possibility of an inconsistent break in one of the wires. You may be able to find it testing but there’s a good possibility you won’t. The cable is cheap so having a spare isn’t the end of the world.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Very true.

I think there is a problem somewhere either way and if you can spare the time, talk to DD support and ask them about either sending in your cable and box for them to test or them sending you a replacement to compare.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Just one BIM. Thx for the ideas. I asked the DD tech if changing the ID would make a difference (after I tried a few) and he said those only apply to the J1850 protocol, which isn't this era of ford :(

Nothing much from the app either. When I get the 8, it appears to simply not make the handshake. And no data for any inputs I used the BIM to supply.

Once I key off and back on, it syncs just fine..

I'm not much help here because I've spent very little time messing with the DD clusters. Lots of people run them and they just seem to work with very little setup. I also can't really make out your screen shots on my phone. But, I can tell you with certainty that the Explorer protocol is J1850-PWM. So perhaps it is something that can be corrected in the app.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Pain in the butt by I guess hide a quick on/off switch in line so you can turn it off and on “disconnect/connect” quickly without having to actually use the key.

Yeah, i thought about this. I'd normally consider it, but after spending the $$ on this setup, it'd really bum me out to have to toggle it every time I started up.

But it's the BIM module that shows the error and not the RTX, so that doesn't really make sense...although none of it really does anyway. Not sure why power would change anything unless there is a problem with one of your boxes or wiring.

What I mean is, the BIM module shows the error, then the error is the info TO the bim module, I guess unless that error means there's an error with the comm to the RTX. Strange that they can't tell you what 8 means.

When it shows the 8 on there, is there any status indicator light in the too left of that window or just the 8 and nothing else? Supposed to flash steadily when receiving data. Mine does.

Yeah, i think removing the wire feeding the BIM powers it down. Then reconnecting it forces it to reconnect to the ECU? Pretty sure it's some sort of handshake issue with the BIM.. either between the ECU or RTX. But until I can figure out what the '8' means, i'm pretty much just testing a black box.
I'm not much help here because I've spent very little time messing with the DD clusters. Lots of people run them and they just seem to work with very little setup. I also can't really make out your screen shots on my phone. But, I can tell you with certainty that the Explorer protocol is J1850-PWM. So perhaps it is something that can be corrected in the app.

Thanks Garry. My DD tech support person was telling me that the that ID shouldn't make a difference (and I tested all 4). But the BIM manual defiinitely says to switch the Unit # if using J1850. I'm going to debug it a little more. He asked for a full image of the ECU for 'testing' if it gets that far.. but I told him I sent it off and it'd be tough to obtain.
Very true.

I think there is a problem somewhere either way and if you can spare the time, talk to DD support and ask them about either sending in your cable and box for them to test or them sending you a replacement to compare.

Yeah, thankfully my first level tech support rep has been very responsive (i've sent him like 10 emails so far). But doesn't have any deeper knowledge of what the '8' means. I've asked if I need to send in my BIM/RTX controller and he sent it off to engineering to determine next steps.
test the cable, don't just buy a new one.

DD support is outstanding and they stand behind their products. I've gotten fantastic support from them with my oddball setup.

Nothing but top notch and made me glad I bought so much pricey stuff from them.
I actually bought a brand new cable from Summit.. as I couldn't find the one that came with the BIM. I'll test it, but I suspect it's either a software incompatiblity or something odd like a ground (unsure how since everything else works). My tech support person suggested isolating the BIM/RTX to a different battery to rule out any interference or ground issues. I'll try that when i'm back in the shop.. and while I wait for engineering to offer additional ideas.

My rep did say that they've seen this '8' error before but it's pretty new to them. He wasn't sure how the last person resolved it though. I was really hoping they'd have a key that mapped the error to a reason or additional debug steps..

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Does the gauge work with all the inputs not from the bim? If it is between the RTX and BIM I would look at buying a new cable just in case there’s a break in the wire. Next would be to see if DD will take the BIM back for testing and possibly sending you a new one.

Yeah, the RTX gauge works properly on all inputs except for the BIM. I can toggle between the Oil, water, etc sensors and the BIM. They all feed fine, but have the synch issues when i connect to the BIM. I really want the BIM for transmission position. as I installed all of the sensors for everything else.

I think they'll take the BIM back for testing. I suspect they'll want both the BIM and RTX controller to test in conjuction. I'm open to that once we get there.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Well, hope you get it figured out!

On the power note, where is your power coming from to your RTX?

Maybe just try a power wire straight to the battery and test if it happens?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
If all you want is trans position why not just get the GSS-3000 and connect the one wire on the RTX module. Then you will also have a proper neutral safety and reverse light switch.