• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota Digital Oil Pressure without starting?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Gonna start my engine but wanted to turn it over and circulate all the fluids before hand. No spark or fuel being delivered and the plugs are out.

Dakota oil pressure grave isn’t moving. I know my pump is good as I turned it from the dizzy shaft before putting the intake on.

Should it be reading or normal for that gauge?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Normal, I have this, so you probably have the hot wire for the gauge on the ignition run side vs start, which i think is how it should be wired.

Trust fall time, you cranked it, you pre oiled it, it's gotta have oil, and as soon as you go to run, you will get pressure.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yes and no.

You’re prob right that it’s just set up that way but I have the ignition on wire to the Dakota on during crank.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and no.

You’re prob right that it’s just set up that way but I have the ignition on wire to the Dakota on during crank.
Because ignition on is not on during cranking, only run.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I’m using a Digital Gaurd Dog iKey keyless setup and have choices of 2 hot while cranking and two that aren’t.

Not a reg ignition switch.

It’s set to hot while cranking.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Trust, but verify.
Is wire to gage hot while cranking?
Does sensor wire show continuity to ground from gage end?
Sub in a mechanical gage.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Think I’m gonna connect my computer and take a look on the Megasquirt yo see if it shows there before starting tomorrow. Still have to put gas in and test fuel pressure. I have the ecu spliced into the same oil pressure gauge. It’s possible the Dakota just doesn’t show anything on crank.

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Little late now, but I usually turn the key on when I’m using distributor pump tool with a drill.
That way the gauge reads even before cranking the engine and I can see oil pressure build.

And speaking of using the drill, did you run it in reverse so that it ran the pump counterclockwise?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, I did it the right way. Had the valve covers off to make sure everything got oiled and it was so much so quickly that it spilled over a little and had to clean that up.

I just put gas in and pressure is holding.

I guess no reason to think I won’t have oil pressure. Just nervous and overthinking.

Will try to start it up soon. Should prob clean up my mess in the garage first.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Fire it up. If there‘s nothing on the gauge seconds after starting shut it off. Then I would throw a mechanical gauge on it and verify you have pressure which I’m sure you will since you already primed it and verified oil to the rockers. So unless your distributor missed the drive shaft which is almost impossible it will be a gauge problem. Either sender or wiring most likely. I’ve found terminals that I use for Dakota digital boxes since I’ve never been happy with just cramming the wire in and tightening the screw.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Fire it up. If there‘s nothing on the gauge seconds after starting shut it off. Then I would throw a mechanical gauge on it and verify you have pressure which I’m sure you will since you already primed it and verified oil to the rockers. So unless your distributor missed the drive shaft which is almost impossible it will be a gauge problem. Either sender or wiring most likely. I’ve found terminals that I use for Dakota digital boxes since I’ve never been happy with just cramming the wire in and tightening the screw.
I’ve started tinning the ends with solder or using pin terminals with the correct crimper now that I have one
Both good ideas…I’m not a fan of those either. I used a ANL block for my coil power and it was that way and so I crimped an end on it. I’ll have to look at that before I button everything up.
If only I were using the stock gauges. That’s what my question was…does the Dakota Digital show oil pressure before startup.

Will know shortly. Had to fix a fuel connection and waiting for the fuel to dry.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
oh, I definitely have oil pressure...tried to start it with the laptop connected. I can see it got to 79.2 lbs.

something in my tune config isn't right though. gotta figure that out and nothing is simple in my setup.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got it started. wasn't great...prob totally flooded from all the attempts and I didn't have data logging on and thought I did but it's progress.

Will have to try again and log it maybe tomorrow.

But either way, Frankenstein is alive!

🤞

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got really nervous with it in the garage and all the fuel smell in there. Gonna need to put the wheels on and roll it outside before starting it again so I can let it run a little. I also haven't put coolant in it so shouldn't let it run much but maybe I will since it started up.

Was also worried though about being able to set my AOD TV pressure. There is literally ZERO space to get in there and the top radiator hose makes it so much worse! Really don't know how I'm gonna pull that task off!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Put coolant in it so you don't have to worry about it. But by "coolant" I really mean just water. Forget anti-freeze or any chemicals during the initial stages.
I get so tired of seeing ViseGrip Garage Derek, or Roadkill Garage Steve and Dave put anti-freeze into a radiator that they have not even checked for leaks yet. They are probably responsible for more toxic waste dumping than half the population! Because almost everything they drive leaks!

I keep yelling at the tv for them to that, unless they're in the north in the winter, they should just use water.
It cools better, and you don't worry about it leaking out.

Same in your case hopefully. Just use water for now, if you are not doing that already.

Paul

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I was debating doing that, thank you for the push...much better to have water leak than coolant.
Just need to get a bunch of distilled water.

Thanks! That takes away the hesitation on filling it.

I also don't have an overflow yet but I guess that shouldn't be that big of a deal for the short term, esp with a 25 lb cap. Right?