• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

installing moog ball joints, dana 44

jdodge

I went to install moog ball joints in my Dana44 and found that the top ball joints don't have C-clips and there is no way to put the C-clip on the bottom ball joints. I have confermed that I have the correct ball joints for this application with three different stores. I am wondering if anyone has installed these ball joints from moog and run into this problem. I don't know if this is safe or correct!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I believe that we dont all use the clips anymore. Do a serch on here and you will find that it is discussed a few times. When i took my 44 apart the other day mine didnt have clips top or bottom.

OH and welcome to this site! Dont be afraid to ask more questions!

When i was searching on here a week or so ago i heard some bottoms use clips some dont have room. Maybe it depends on the brand of ujoint. I was curious as to what the right answer was also so ill be watching this thread.

Last edited:

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I'm running 79 Bronco axles but here are the MOOG part numbers I used.

K8195T

K8194T

Only a clip on the bottom one. Hope this helps.

James

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've installed quite a few and I don't recall having any problems installing the lower clip. That said..someone else recently posted about having the same problem...?

The upper does not use the clip..that is correct.

I've seen them come apart on the trail too many times so I won't run without the clips.

OP
OP
J

jdodge

Thanks for all the great information! I think I'm going to grind a small amout off the bottom of the knuckle so I can get the retaining clip on.