• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 hub removal

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
For the life of me, I can't remember how to remove the hubs on a Dana 44. I removed the two snap rings... There's one part that should have come out when I removed the hub lock but it did not. See picture.

Thank you,
George
Hub assembly.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pulling that will often fight you because the snap ring has pulled up ridges on the splines it was locked in to. Give it hell..or push it back in and relieve the ridges on the splines, with small file, that are holding it up.

Sometimes I'll pry the slug "out" with a screwdriver, while tapping the axle stub in to it at the same time.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
big honking channel locks with rag to protect. in out in out up down up down. Repeat. Or file if you can tell, i could never tell where it was bad until it was off.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great to hear you got it off.
You may have done this already, but sometimes it helps to wiggle the hub around while you’re trying to pry the inner workings out.
Especially if the bearings are a little loose, just the weight of the hub and drum can bind up the dive slug, just a little bit.
Usually not too bad though and if the splines are perfect, just jiggling the hub will let the spring in the back push it out.
But if it’s the splines, then it takes a little prying like you found out.
Glad that’s all it took!

But now that it’s out, make sure to dress the splines down a tiny bit with the small file previously mentioned. You don’t have to take any material off the splines, other than any ridges, or other buggers.

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Great to hear you got it off.
You may have done this already, but sometimes it helps to wiggle the hub around while you’re trying to pry the inner workings out.
Especially if the bearings are a little loose, just the weight of the hub and drum can bind up the dive slug, just a little bit.
Usually not too bad though and if the splines are perfect, just jiggling the hub will let the spring in the back push it out.
But if it’s the splines, then it takes a little prying like you found out.
Glad that’s all it took!

But now that it’s out, make sure to dress the splines down a tiny bit with the small file previously mentioned. You don’t have to take any material off the splines, other than any ridges, or other buggers.
Thank you...

I didn't have any issues on the last Dana 44 a few years ago. Unfortunately, I'm having more and more CRS moments. :)