• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Determine 50/50 Mix or Straight Coolant?

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

This may be a strange question...

I have just replaced the stock radiator in the our Bronco with an aluminum 2-core.

The coolant was replaced by a shop in Moab 1-1/2 weeks ago when they were trying to figure out overheating. I'd like to re-use the coolant; but, I'd also like to make sure that it is a 50/50 mix, and not straight coolant. I doubt the shop would have used straight coolant; but, I'd like to confirm.

Is there a way to do this without a hydrometer?

I'm leaning towards just replacing it; but, I thought I would at least ask.

Thanks

Jeff

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ya head to wally world and get a tester. I have a few of them in the garage. You never guess at something like that here in MN!!!!!!! Its not uncommon for my truck to sit out in -40F for a few days 8 miles out in the middle of the lake. Not a place where you want to question the ratio of coolant to water mixture.

Last edited:

Tulsa76bronco

Bkn maybe this is a stupid question but why not just 100% anti freeze coolant why add water

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Bkn maybe this is a stupid question but why not just 100% anti freeze coolant why add water

Because antifreeze does not have good heat transfer properties (about 1/2 that of water). The job of antifreeze is to balance the coolant's ability to do its job (remove heat) while keeping it from freezing.

Water = 4.2 J/g.C (Joules / gram Degrees C)
Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) = J/g.C
Air = 1 J/g.C

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And as for overheating. make sure the cooling system is burped, all the air out of the heater, all the air out of the block. My favorite is front end up as high as it can get, then add coolant while running motor with heater open. Stop, let cool, repeat.

DogDiesel

Loc.
Lunenburg
100% coolant

If the vehicle is automatic, it gets worse with 100% antifreeze. The engine may still be cool, but since pure antifreeze doesn't transferr heat as well as water, you toast the tranny while the engine does not overheat.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Straight water actually works best but you need the antifreeze to lube the waterpump. Here in AZ 50/50 doesn't always work the best.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in Humid, Hot, FL and the premixed 50/50 out of the jug works great.

Gotta get all the air out as stated.

With an Aluminum Radiator get a Radiator Cap with the sacrificial diode installed. Can find on at Wild Horses.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Don't buy 50/50 premixed antifreeze. You pay as much or more for it as you do a gallon of straight antifreeze unless you want to pay double what it would cost to mix your own.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Yep just get a gallon of straight stuff and some distilled water for $0.60 a gallon.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, Anode. That's what I meant... What the hell is a diode?

I'm glad I can still laugh at myself...

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Yes, Anode. That's what I meant... What the hell is a diode?

I'm glad I can still laugh at myself...

A diode is an electronic check valve to keep current only headed in one direction.

Nothing wrong with using old coolant after ya check it....you may want to screen it first though. Pantyhose works well (the first time i did that, my wife looked at me funny and said, "what the hell do you need pantyhose for?")

If i couldnt laugh at myself, id be cryin all the time! Haha not really

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Thanks for all the replies.

Some of the replies are making me think of other questions.

I went to the WH website and looked at the cap with the sacrificial anode. The cap is only rated at 13 psi. I would like to run a 16 psi cap. I have done a little research to see if anyone sells one; but, I haven't found one yet.

During my search I ran across a write-up on eHow that says that a special coolant should be used for aluminum radiators. I don't recall reading this anywhere before. Any thoughts?

And finally, the eHow article proposes a test to see if corrosion will be a problem. They say that you can use a multimeter to check voltage between the battery negative terminal and the coolant in the radiator. Anything less than 0.01 DCV is acceptable. I haven't tried this yet; but, I thought I would see if anyone else has checked using this criteria.

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
13psi is what the heater core & other cooling system parts are rated for, and running a higher-pressure cap just lets the engine run hotter before the coolant boils (which makes overheating more likely). So think again about running the higher pressure.

There are plenty of special coolants, but if you change normal coolant on the recommended schedule (like almost NOBODY does), it's fine for Al radiators.

About measuring the galvanic voltage, click this & read the caption:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
13psi is what the heater core & other cooling system parts are rated for, and running a higher-pressure cap just lets the engine run hotter before the coolant boils (which makes overheating more likely). So think again about running the higher pressure.

I'd like to see this rating in some factory literature. Yes, running higher pressure allows the heat to increase before boiling. That is the point of it. Most people prefer to have a hot, running engine over one with most of the coolant boiled out of it on the side of the road.

I run a 20 psi cap and have yet to damage any factory cooling system parts.