• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

does anyone have problem with slow refueling

injected74

Loc.
Lexington, KY
hey, every time i go to pump gas in either of my tanks, the pump handle keeps clicking off if you increase the flow from anything more than a trickle. you can see the bubbles comming up and sometimes it will gush out :( the rear tank will fill up the filler neck while the tank is empty. i just changed the segment of rubber hose on the rear tank too. is there some kind of pick up screen or something down there that might have gotten clogged?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I have held the nozzle every dam way and nothing works!! You just have to find a gas station that doesnt have the springy nozel and one that lets you set the slowest possible setting and stay on the for the whole fill.

lobo

Loc.
Seattle Washington
it seems like the air is nottraveling corectly on al or old tanks anyone have any idea how to mod the filler neck so the tank breaths properly and lets the gas in. simple physics tells you why it is happening but I don't know the gas tank good enough to engineer a solution! any ideas?

or does anyone have an exploeded view of it so I can check it out?

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I always say you I have to find that filling the tank g-spot. There is a definate technique to it. Once you figure it out, its a piece of cake.

SeanNollan

I found that when i replaced my body mounts with a 1" body lift that I cured that problem 99.9% in the rear tank and about let's say 85.3% in the aux. The body was sitting on my filler lines and my vent lines.

civilgee

Loc.
Northport, Alabama
It's all in technique...and the pump. I have the same problem. Some days turning the nozzel up-side-down works great, and other days nothing works except sitting there for ten minutes. I agree that you have to find a gas station with the correct pump. I have found a gas station that I can fill up in no time. Let me know if y'all find a fix for the problem

jhunte17

Loc.
Franklin, TN
[quote author=lobo link=board=5;threadid=17370;start=0#msg132780 date=1052793434]
it seems like the air is nottraveling corectly on al or old tanks anyone have any idea how to mod the filler neck so the tank breaths properly and lets the gas in. simple physics tells you why it is happening but I don't know the gas tank good enough to engineer a solution! any ideas?

or does anyone have an exploeded view of it so I can check it out?

[/quote]

Your right. Simple physics. If you can't get the air out, you can't get the fuel in. I may be wrong but I'm guessing if you're having this problem, you probably have to run a vented gas cap. The only problem is that when you are filling up, you're plugging your vent with a fuel nozzle. The only real cure probably would be to install some sort of vent on the top of the tank. The orginal evap system handled this function but most EB's no longer have this stuff. I know mine doesn't. Just my .02.

jims66

I think that it is less complicated than you all think. It is more of a plumbing problem. The two things you need to know about plumbing is that s**t doesn't flow uphill and payday is Friday, also apply here. I think that most of you have a trap at the filler neck to the tank connection. Basically a spot where the hose has some reverse slope and collects gas. Seans posts backs this up, when he installed a body lift the problem went away. I also believe that Ford relized this problem and made a slightly different filler neck as a fix. My 66 came with ALL the service records and one of the strange (to me) things was that they replaced the filler neck. This always seemed odd, after all how do you wear out a filler neck? I have NO problem filling mine at all! I bet you can slightly shorten that vertical part of the neck to promote better flow and solve your problem.

Sorry about the rambling!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you look at the filler neck you should see a 5/8 pipe following the filler pipe, that is the filler vent. Some of the EBs did not have it. My 70 did not have the vent on the aux tank I it was trying to get gas into it. I changed it to a tank and filler pipe that had the vent and the problem was gone. Without the 5/8" vent air will get traped and blow back up the filler pipe and cause the pump to turn off and or gas to come out the filler.