• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

does the rear of a C-4 have a seal to keep tranny fluid out of the Adapter?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have tranny fluid dripping off a T-case seal, Just had the tranny rebuilt, But is there a seal in the rear of the tranny to keep the adapter separated from tranny fluid?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the seal is actually in the adapter. But not sure, so just adding that to subscribe and hear the answers.

Paul

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I thought I had the same problem and it actually was the breather leaking. I put on a Lokar dipstick on the C4 and with it's O rings on the top of the stick it was not breathing enough pushing fluid out the breather. I took the O rings out of the dipstick.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Isnt it the double lip seal most the vendors sell to replace the original single lip seal in the intermediate housing?

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
I've been around this issue myself. Easy check is if transfer case contains trans fluid or is over-filled, the seal in the adaptor is bad. If you get trans fluid leaking from the adaptor - it is likely the breather and the case is over filled, or the mating surfaces of the adaptor to the rear of the trans is leaking. Be sure to install a double lip seal in the adaptor if you find it bad. Good luck.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
thank you!

If you're changing that intermediate seal get it from one of our vendors. I'm pretty assure the stock part was a single lip and that's what will come up at a local ap store. I think our predecessors early on realized they fail and found the double lip seal that fits the application. It's one of those parts you want to change while you're in there.