• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Window Track installation

crutch

I'm installing new glass, window track and the track to glass strips but I never had any windows previously to go off of. Do I install these window tracks in the center of the window? It appears to be really tight with the strips, any tricks here? Perhaps some soapy water to help? Thanks

1970 Palmer

Stand the glass pane upright on your work bench resting on a good smooth 2 by 4 for full glass support. Spray the glass and the butyl strip with lots of soapy water, spray the metal clip with soapy water. Make sure you orientate the clip in the correct direction for a right, or a left window. The clip goes in the center, not critical, but close to center is OK. Use a large rubber, leather, or plastic mallet to hammer the clip on to the window pane. Don't worry about the excess seal. Set the assembled window glass pane out in the sun for a day to get hot and dry out. Use a single edge razor blade to trim the excess seal "when it's cold" which is much less messy. It's maybe a five minute job, super easy. You do it the same way on vent windows.

John

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I saw a vid on CJPony or Toms that suggested to wet the rubber with kerosene to lube it. Could be mistaken

Hank

Summersea

It sounds more intimidating than it actually is.
Follow 1970Palmer’s directions exactly.
Support glass edge on flat firm surface, soft hammer, lightly soapy water on all mating surfaces.

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks for all the feedback. Tackling this weekend and will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfryjfry

I pulled mine apart and it was tough. I used two blocks of wood to sandwich the glass as I put it in a vise. That worked great. Getting the frame off was tough but I managed to do it without breaking anything. Work slow and use lots of lube/cleaner/etc.

Had to put in back on a few times. Problem 1 was I didn’t realize I had bent the frame a little (opened it up) and it wouldn’t seat properly. So I removed it and rebent it to the correct shape.

The other issue I had was I didn’t take any measurements before disassembling so I didn’t have it installed properly to fit the frame and rubber. Measure before pulling apart and double check that the measurements will work with whatever new stuff has been done/added before reassembling

Edit - dangit! Sorry, this was about the vent windows! Sorry...

RonJones

Contributor
Here’s a good way to remove glass, using soapy water as lube:

Last edited:

RonJones

Contributor
Photo didn’t make it, trying again.

Attachments

• 82F7E812-AB0C-4EE7-89BD-52A78A1F9712.jpeg
    82F7E812-AB0C-4EE7-89BD-52A78A1F9712.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 46

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I just successfully completed this job tonight. Suffice to say, dealing with removal and installation of the wing window is the biggest PITA to getting through this. If anyone wants the details on how to do this, let me know and I'll break it down for you here. :cool:

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Hey Crutch... Did you get this done yet and have any further comments to add for an old duffer like me? :p

I followed Palmer 1970s instructions and it was easier then I thought. Just some soapy water and then a rubber mallet seated the track on the window pretty easily.

1970 Palmer

I followed Palmer 1970s instructions and it was easier then I thought. Just some soapy water and then a rubber mallet seated the track on the window pretty easily.

I'll be sending my address along shortly, so you know where to send the royalty checks.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

John