• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual Optima Batteries

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Anyone here run mixed Optima batteries? By that I mean 2 different tops (Blue/Yellow).

When I bought my bronco the PO had installed 2 Blue top Optimas (he said because the blue tops matched the blue bronco. :p:p. They work, but I have a bit of a phantom power drain, and if she sits for a few days she won't start. My question is, can I run 1 blue top and 1 yellow or red top without some type of isolator? I like the my Dual Purpose Blue top for my winch and other accessories, but need the cold cranking amps of a red/yellow top.

Thoughts? Input? Thank you!!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I run a blue for my "eventual" winch and yellow for starting etc...
Used to run a red top for starting with a blue top.
I run a manual switch between them to keep them from draining one another while they sit. It is called dueling battery syndrome as the two batteries continue to to try to equalize.

When I hit the road I have them connected together so the blue top charges off alternator. When it's sitting the switch disconnects them from one another. I keep the blue top on the battery tender since it is rarely called upon right now.

BDAZSVT

I have a red top in my Lightning and have to keep it on a charger, Minehas the 'phantom power drain" also. The truck never had a problem with the original motorcraft battery. At this point i will not be buying another Optima.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Its not good to have two batteries that are different output connected together. Such as a 600cca battery and a 650cca battery. They will draw off of each other. I'm no expert on the matter but I would be careful. I know lead batteries are not the same but check out what happens when you put two lithium ion batteries together when one has been discharged and one is new.

mfrank

Loc.
san carlos
1147.jpg

I really like marine dual battery configurations since most boats deal with two or more batteries, they are rock solid and adjustable unlike most auto dual battery kits.

mfrank

Loc.
san carlos
The problem with most dual battery set ups are the isolators, they should be disconnected from the charging isolator when the vehicle is not on, otherwise there will be a drain. Should have a switching relay when the vehicle is on it connects both batteries then when car is off the relay switch is open.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have a red top in my Lightning and have to keep it on a charger, Minehas the 'phantom power drain" also. The truck never had a problem with the original motorcraft battery. At this point i will not be buying another Optima.

I feel ya'
I had a gift certificate to 4 wheel parts and it was just enough to get another optima. I have had this problem with optimas too, but not all of them.
I got a brand new yellow top two days before Christmas and had to return it before the New Year. Died over night twice. I even put the battery tender on it. Called Kenney (friend) down at 4 Wheel Parts to tell him how much I hated Optimas (damn it).
I went down there (5 minutes away) and he gave me a new one. I have to say I cannot kill this one. I have let the broncos stereo and or cb play all day in the garage and it still fires right up. It has sat for a week untouched and is still hot as a fire cracker.
Kenney said this happens all the time. He says that it appears that when Optima took production to Mexico quality control suffered.
If you get a good one then you still have the legendary abilities of an Optima but if you get a dud....well you get a dud. Take it back asap to try to get another.
By the way, buy your Optima from some place that is known for good customer service since they seem to cost the same everywhere but ebay.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Its not good to have two batteries that are different output connected together. Such as a 600cca battery and a 650cca battery. They will draw off of each other. I'm no expert on the matter but I would be careful. I know lead batteries are not the same but check out what happens when you put two lithium ion batteries together when one has been discharged and one is new.

Absolutely but the problem is that two seemingly identical batteries will still have slightly different voltages/amps and so the dueling battery syndrome ensues anyway just not as quickly. It is best to keep them separated with a manual switch or one of those fancy automatic isolators.

Casey835

My yellow top seemed to be good. It sat brand new unused for atleast 2-4 months before even being I even tried cranking. It fired right up with no trouble for several weeks. Then it sat for 2 weeks while I made tranny repairs and fired right up. Cranked fine for the weekend. Then all of a sudden 4 days later-dead!!!! Found no obvious drain. Guy at napa said bring it back no worries.