• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

e.f.i. for idiots

75mauibronco

Loc.
makawao
I figured if nothing else the title to this thread would get some att: , I am not calling anyone ,except maybe myself an idiot what I am saying is that I must be an idiot for reading all the info out there on e.f.i. and every body keeps saying that we have all of the info we need for these swaps but I cant find the info that I need ,I guess that I am such a simple person that I hate to say it but I need to have some one list the componants that I will need out to make my aplication work. I would really love to move forward with this but I dont know for sure what I need. here is what I am trying to accomplish I have a 75 bronco w/ 95 351w that right now has a truck avenger carb on it. I now that I have to use the 5.8 lower intake, and I can use the bc adapter. after that Im lost. Do I use everything else from a mustang will everything else fit the lower manifold, will th distrubutor from the 351w plug into the mustang wiring harness. I think you can see where Im coming from with this, I need a list for this apllication please!! I cant be the only person out there that has a 351w that wants to go fuel injection thanks guys from a simpleton

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
www.fordfuelinjection.com

There is everything you could possibly want, or need to know on this site. ;D

Read the articles, and sift through all the tech articles. It should at least give you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into.

70_Steve

Old Guy
OK, so I've been in the middle of my 351W EFI upgrade parts gathering stage for probably 1 1/2 years now. So, I'm anything but an expert on EFI upgrades, but I read a lot.

There's a couple different options for intake manifolds for a 351W. One option (and the route I've already taken) is to get a GT40 lower manifold, and either the GT40 or an Explorer upper manifold. Second option is to go aftermarket. Edelbrock and others make EFI manifolds for the 5.8/351. Both of these options are relatively high dollar. I did a lot of eBay watching to get the manifolds I got, and still paid over $400 for the two. Third option is to go truck lower and upper. But this will still require a hole in the hood even with a 3" body lift. The fourth, and relatively new option, is the BC Bronco's adapter that mates a 5.8L truck lower manifold with a 5.0L car upper. With the adapter being only $100 or so, this is such an inexpensive option that I'm considering selling my GT40 lower and Explorer upper, just to save money.

As for all the other stuff you were asking about, I'd suggest using the Search function, but there are so many threads on EFI, that I suspect you would give up looking way before you got the information you were looking for. So.. I suggest you start by researching the Ford Fuel Injection.com web site. You will find all the answers to your questions there. Ryan (the owner of the web site and the business) manufactures a Bronco Specific EFI harness that takes all the guesswork out of the upgrade. Search the Products page and you will even find the Installation Manual for his harness. Yes you can modify a Mustand harness, and learn a lot about EFI in the process. Ryan even provides wiring diagrams to be able to do that. He even provides a list of part numbers for all the sensors, ect you need to to the upgrade ( http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=89 )

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I am reading this right. you need everything from a mustang except a distributer. That needs to be a 351 unit. All the mustang stuff will bolt on just fine (expect to replace some plastic lines on the fuel rails as the 351 is wider, use EFI hose).
If you get the right distributer, it will plug right into the mustang harness.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Broncobowsher said:
If I am reading this right. you need everything from a mustang except a distributer. That needs to be a 351 unit. All the mustang stuff will bolt on just fine (expect to replace some plastic lines on the fuel rails as the 351 is wider, use EFI hose).
If you get the right distributer, it will plug right into the mustang harness.
This is all true as long as you use the later model Mass air mustang computer and sensor.
Tom

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The above is all true. But the bottom line is: nobody has made a "cookbook" list because, as of this point in time, we all source the components from so many different sources that can't be reproduced, that it is hard to say that you need to get part number abc or xyz. So, for the time being it is mainly a question of just sitting down and thinking through the systems and seeing what you are comfortable with. Start with the fuel system. Then worry about the sensors. And when that is all clear, worry about the easy part, the upper and lower intake manifolds.

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
You can use a dizzy from a 93-95 F150 Lightning it has the disto mounted TFI module, and would plug right into the mustang harness.

As its been mentioned eveything but the dizzy should work off a stang. You NEED to be sure to use Mass Air as running SD designed for a 5.0 on a 351w just will not work.

You will need to remove and install longer crossover tubes on the fuel rails since the 351 is wider. Use high pressure EFI fuel line.

You should also be fine with 19lb/hr injectors as this is what the Gen 1 Lightnings run and dont have any issues.

To get a good idea of whats required for EFI swap, and some suggestions on where to get the parts read the articles that were in Bronco Driver Mag that are on Ryan's website.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=62

Have fun