• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI bogging under load

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
Got a real riddle on my hands with this problem, sorry in advance for the long story!

The problem is with a 5.0 out of an explorer, rebuilt it when the engine was installed.

So this all started when i noticed a lack of power when loading the engine, say going uphil in a high gear. It would stutter ever so slightly and then catch back on, over 3k RPM the issue would go away. Now, i have been running without a good timing pointer on this engine since i rebuilt it (i know, i know) so i figured it was a timing problem. Decided to replace the coil, get a proper factory timing pointer and replace plug wires that were pretty beat up.

Well, check the timing, and im running 20 degrees advance! Oops... so i set the timing back to 12. (Spout disconnected) and checkd that the cpu does advance the base to approx. 20 at idle once the spout is reconnected. Go for a test drive, and engine is terrible! No power, backfires, feels like the timing is too far retarded.

So what gives? Did i skip a tooth on the timing chain? I tried to just set the base timing back to the 20 base, and it runs better, but still bad under load. The problem gets worse when the engine is warm as well.

I dont know if i need to go pull the engine apart to check the cam, or if there is possibly something else that could be the issue to check first?

Thanks for the help!