• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI engine coolant Temp sensor location for atomic EFI

LA75

Hey guys, I am about to install the atomic EFI on my 302. Where is the best place to put the engine coolant temp sensor? I have performer rpm heads and manifold.
Thx

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Intake manifold - you are looking for engine coolant temp.

OP
OP
L

LA75

thanks, someone told me to place it in the thermostat, but didn't see how I could plumb that. The manifold should be threaded already right?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you are using the original gage in the dash you will have a sender in the manifold on the drivers side front with one wire going to it. You can put the EFI temp sender there. Then you can buy a new thermostat housing or go junk yard diving to get one that is tapped on top for a sensor. I used a new one and just drilled and tapped it for the gage sensor it had a flat boss on it.

My opinion is the EFI one should be in the manifold. The sensor in the thermostat housing is on the hot side / radiator side of the t-stat. Hot water will pool here waiting for the t-stat to open and it will be hot water and getting hotter until the t-stat opens. The water on the other side is still cool and this is what you want the EFI to read because that is what the combustion chamber is seeing. This is supported by the fact that in winter my temp gage starts reading 100 - 140 and I have no heat yet.