• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI timing issue?? What am I doing wrong??

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
I set the timing a week ago. I found TDC of cylinder one. veryified that markings on Harmonic balancer was at 0 and marked in white. What would we do without good old white out. :cool: I checked timing and it was dead on at 10 when spurt plus was pulled then I proceeded to set at 14 degree with digital timing light. It ran good... took it out tested all week and it was stiil good. Well today I wanted to recheck so I hooked up the light and suddenly I was way out e.g. 30 degrees +.

OK what did I do??? Could it be something as simple as pulling spurt plug before or after startup, moving distributor, hitting reset on timing light.

What would be the best solution to reset everything. I was told to pull remove battery + to reset computer. I just want to find out what I did, so I don't repeat.

Thanks,
Frank

4WHLFUN

Contributor
PCM controls timing advance

Computer adds 20 degrees. Check it at operating temp and with SPOUT removed and you'll probably find it at 14 where you set it.

OP
OP
FrankSG

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you very much. That really explains what has been happening. E.G advanced 30+ Deg. Yes I will also remove the "Spout" connector and do it at running temp too.

I will buy you a beer... if you're ever in Pitts. PA.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you ever get the chance to watch a readout on a more modern OBD II engine while it's running, you see the timing just going nutso high at idle and under other no or low load conditions.

Not what you remember from distributor school!

Paul