• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine coolant choice

jacrz

Is there any particular engine coolant type requirement for a 1974 Bronco with 302ci V8?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Out of idle curiosity, is there a difference in type of antifreeze used between aluminum and stock radiators?

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, and no. These days generally every brand and type of antifreeze is “safe for use in all metals“ as listed on the bottle.
Too many vehicles have a mix of metals, so they try to make all of them, no matter what color, compatible with aluminum and cast-iron.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am actually avoiding distilled water now. Finding out that the water wants minerals in it. If it is stripped and pure, it will pull the minerals out of the engine. Metal erosion. Was helping a friend work on a car wash, he pointed out the worst place was the spot free rinse. With all the minerals stripped out of the water, the spray just removed metal from the car wash. Didn't rust, it is just gone. Then I found an old owners manual for a model T, it said to use soft water. The old timers knew a few things.

Science class, distilled water is the best heat transfer. Race cars use it because it is the best heat transfer and doesn't contaminate the ground when wrecked. They also don't care if the inside of the cooling system is eroded out under a year, everything is always taken apart and being rebuilt.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Yes, and no. These days generally every brand and type of antifreeze is “safe for use in all metals“ as listed on the bottle.
Thanks, Paul, for the info. Have been pondering that.
Too many vehicles have a mix of metals, so they try to make all of them, no matter what color, compatible with aluminum and cast-iron.
Cast iron block…✅
Alluminum ✅
AFR heads ✅
Good to know I’m covered!

Randy

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am actually avoiding distilled water now. Finding out that the water wants minerals in it. If it is stripped and pure, it will pull the minerals out of the engine. Metal erosion. Was helping a friend work on a car wash, he pointed out the worst place was the spot free rinse. With all the minerals stripped out of the water, the spray just removed metal from the car wash. Didn't rust, it is just gone. Then I found an old owners manual for a model T, it said to use soft water. The old timers knew a few things.

Science class, distilled water is the best heat transfer. Race cars use it because it is the best heat transfer and doesn't contaminate the ground when wrecked. They also don't care if the inside of the cooling system is eroded out under a year, everything is always taken apart and being rebuilt.
Where do I find soft water? I don't have a water softener at the house. That is very interesting. Yes, the old school guys had it down!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure the water type is an issue until you get to de-ionized water. That type is well known for leeching minerals/metals out of a cooling system.
But if I'm not mistaken (and I could be) the pre-made 50/50 mixes that you buy under many names, is using distilled water.

By that same token, while I do try to use distilled whenever possible, once a cooling system is cleaned and as long as it's maintained as expected, it can and will stay pretty pristine over many years.
I did a real honest to goodness home flush, of the type where you need to use the second step neutralizer (strong stuff!) not long after I bought my '71 back in '76. From that time and for the next 30 years or so, the inside of the original radiator were clean and pristine every time I peeked inside.
And that was using just regular old tap water.
We don't live in a super hard-water area, but it's not known for being free of excess minerals either. Sure leaves it's mark on my household appliances!

Paul