• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine swap to a 5.0 efi problems

Rhoward104

Loc.
Florence, SC
Hello and thanks for any help.

When considering an fuel injection upgrade I did not see the posts about using a explorer serpentine configuration. I found a 1988 thunderbird with low miles and have purchased removed and installed in my 1973 bronco. I removed entire wiring harness to install computer and whatnot in the bronco.

Problem is that not the air compressor mount is hitting hood and clearance between water pump and radiator is too close to install fan.

If I purchase an explorer serpentine set up will this take care of my problems and also where can I install and what kind to purchase for the air condition condenser (radiator)?

Also if I purchase an explorer to get parts should I use computer from explorer or thunderbird or does it matter and is there a better option for controlling engine?

Respectfully and thanks!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The explorer front accessory set will fix the fan clearance issues just fine.
Either you will have to build your own stuff to mount an A/C condenser in front of the radiator or hit up any of the Bronco venders and see what they have. More than likely they will have whole kits, nothing to attach a condenser you might already own.

The T-bird system is much simpler than the Explorer. It will run stand alone without any special reworking. The Explorer computer is great if doing the whole Explorer engine (which it is tuned to) including the distributorless ignition. Since you already have the Thunderbird engine, stick with the thunderbird computer. That speed density system works just fine on the stock engine it is programed for.