• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Eric's Extended Radius Arms

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Also breaking from fatigue desert racing is a whole other can o worms, think having a crash 1000 times an hour, those cars get abused.

And I’ll stop, although great discussion I think we’re reaching the point of hijacking the OP

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Not surprisingly, it looks like all of those broke at the weld. Design, weld process, prep, and skill of the operator makes a huge difference. Mine will be double-pass TIG welded to help avoid issues.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
that's a great deal on the hardware! i'd suggest getting the rest of what you will need while the sale is on.

68ford

Bronco Guru
The syle of the axle end looks cool but I can't help but think the cost of any radius arms could be drastically reduced by eliminating the c bushings, which are a pain in the ass anyway. Me and my buddy built my arms with more desert racing in mind and I'm full width so my arms around straight. Basically 2 bushings per side at the front. Weld on 4 plates and pic your caster. Could leave the c bushing wedges there if you wanted.

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Oh, it would definitely be cheaper... but I am already past purchasing materials. lol

How well would it flex without using heims?

mcdiaz

EricLar80 sir I was wondering if you ever finished the arms I am very intrested?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
On a tangent. I recently removed the extended radius arms I built and installed 15 years ago. Not gonna go into the tech of my design since this is Eric's thread, but for the curious, I put almost 100,000 miles on the Johnny Joints. Beat the $hit out of them in that time, as my fellow travelers can attest. I used the version that is about 2-5/8" across the flats and uses a 9/16" bolt, 1.25-12 threads on the joint shank. They were as tight and solid as when installed. I was surprised. If I didn't have a new set on hand, I would've cleaned them up and returned them to service. I have never gotten that kind of service life from any spherical rod end type of joint elsewhere, regardless of size and application.