• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ever broke a stock drive shaft?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Im going to get a new rear drive shaft and I was weandering if it was worth it to go for the heavy duty or if stock was just fine,has anybody ever broke a stock drive line from hard use?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Not the driveshaft, but both u-joints in the CV. I now run Spicer Life Series u-joints.

Attachments

• broken drive shaft.jpg
    broken drive shaft.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 71

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My driveshaft has always lived. A few rear U-joints from installation error. 1 CV due to lack of lube (100 miles after I bought the truck). Worn out a few sets of slip yokes over the years. Hard launches with both stick and auto. Never broke a shaft yet.

I am sure that with enough tire and enough trans/transfer case gear you could twist a driveshaft. Personally I would use a stock driveshaft unless the axles have already been beefed (D60/14 bolt for example). By the time I kill a stock driveshaft, the U-joints should already have exploded. By the time you need to up U-joint size that is when to consider uping the driveshaft to a HD unit.

Stock driveshaft failure I have seen (almost forgot about). Rust. I have seen stock driveshafts fail but the tubes were a crusty POS and I was surprised that it actually lived as long as it did.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
poped a pinion gear like nothin but never a drive shatf...my freshly rebiuilt one I dont see lasting long rear is too short front too long ...I think the PO had em completely redone but that was on saggy springs and now its on fresh 2.5" lift springs....as said above u-joints slip yokes but never a shaft.

lets see how 2" in the yoke lasts in the rear?

Projp

Have had issues with drivelines due to axle wrap. If you are dealing with low gears, big power or soft springs beware.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Like the others, I have broken U-joints, but never a drive shaft.

Coming back from the mud drag races in Palm Beach, I broke a U-joint on the front of the rear drive shaft. The drive shaft dropped to the ground, stuck and almost polevaulted the truck end over end. Thank God I was going fairly slow and truck didn't make it over. It makes me think about installing a rear driveshaft hoop.

72Quarterhorse

I don't mind if the drive shaft Assembly is the week link. Its cheaper and easer to replace then an Axel ring gear or tranny.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p 3 of them and 1 pinion shaft and a couple out put shafts dam the heavey feet all were my fault you play you must pay.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
It is a little hard to see, but it looks like the shaft is intact and a U-joint is missing.
Rear shaft was still usable but the yoke in the 9 broke an ear...
Thanks to BroncoDan for the trailer to camp and BART for the spare yoke that he gave me to get us back home...

Attachments

• DSC01225sm.jpg
    DSC01225sm.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01120sm.jpg
    DSC01120sm.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 5