• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer front dress help

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Hey guys I'm having trouble with my belt running off of my 5.8 . I've checked and everything seems lined up. I checked it with a straight edge and all looked good. No ac saginaw ps pump.

The pump started running off at the ps pump. Maybe a quarter inch so I thought it wasn't the right depth. I pulled it out a quarter inch and now it stays but is running out on the crank pulley.

I haven't even been able to get it running. It's coming off with just the starter.

I don't even know where to start looking at this point.

Thanks!

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
That idler might not be perfect straight. Do yall think it's enough to push th belt off?

Attachments

• 17066499395168548667582555726541.jpg
    17066499395168548667582555726541.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Well maybe that's it. It looks like the bracket isn't built right. Is this a common issue with the brackets?

NJBronk

Contributor
I'm not sure about it being the angle of the idler. The whole engine would be angled up slightly relative to the fan, and it looks like the idler and alternator might be aligned. The power steering pump looks a bit too vertical to me, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Maybe try adjusting/shimming it to match the angle of the engine/other pullies?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Use a laser to make sure they're all the same level. Mine all seemed so until I lasered it. My belt was coming off at the PS pump and I guess my aluminum heads are slightly different depths on the sides so that bracket was off. I put a spacer and now all good.

New pulleys are cheap if you have a bad one too, but yeah, something doesn't look right there.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Also, once that belt starts coming off, it comes off more and more easily so get a new belt for when you know it's fixed.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
That idler might not be perfect straight. Do yall think it's enough to push th belt off?
From your picture I question your ps pump choice the reservoir looks very close if not touching the cylinder head at the lower headbolt location , ,, the pump/ reservoir intended for that bracket has an offset filler yours looks more like the earlier symetrical shape,,, with the offset res, mine has about an inch clearance from the head and res,,, .. so pump maybe,, pulley?? and what crank pulley do you have a rebalnced explorer pully or the conversion pulley with original balancer??,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's the purpose of using all the washers under the bolt heads? Aren't they there in case you need to space OUT the bracket, or space IN the pump?
Were your bolts too long?

How's about another pic, but with the belt on all the pulleys correctly?

Paul

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Use a laser to make sure they're all the same level. Mine all seemed so until I lasered it. My belt was coming off at the PS pump and I guess my aluminum heads are slightly different depths on the sides so that bracket was off. I put a spacer and now all good.

New pulleys are cheap if you have a bad one too, but yeah, something doesn't look right there.
what kind of aluminum heads do you have? i havent considered this.

and what kind of set up do you use with a laser? ive heard this before but dont really know what i need to get or how to set it up and check it

thanks!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
My heads are Trick Flow.

I had a magnetic laser level that I attached above and I made it go perfectly in the inside groove of the crank and could see it was ferfectly aligned with the Alt, but the drivers side bracket was a little off. Really really hard to tell but it was enough to make my belt come off.

I out spacers behind the bracket and left the old belt on u til I was sure even that one wouldn't come off.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
From your picture I question your ps pump choice the reservoir looks very close if not touching the cylinder head at the lower headbolt location , ,, the pump/ reservoir intended for that bracket has an offset filler yours looks more like the earlier symetrical shape,,, with the offset res, mine has about an inch clearance from the head and res,,, .. so pump maybe,, pulley?? and what crank pulley do you have a rebalnced explorer pully or the conversion pulley with original balancer??,
i think that picture is deceiving. i have heard that i needed to use the offset pump reservoir but honestly i do have plenty of clearance with the one ive got. this pump however didnt look like it seated up flush against the bracket but with one thin washer i was able to get it even. (i tried this after determining i had a problem and it didnt seem to make a difference . maybe the other pump is spaced differently but it seems like i should be able to mount the pulley further forward or rearward to compensate for that.

and if i remember correctly i have a professional products balancer with the wild horses front pulley. it seems if i remember correctly the balancer was designed to be the "thinnest" balancer so it could be used with any spacer to acheieve the correct spacing.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
What's the purpose of using all the washers under the bolt heads? Aren't they there in case you need to space OUT the bracket, or space IN the pump?
Were your bolts too long?

How's about another pic, but with the belt on all the pulleys correctly?

Paul
honestly paul i dont remember why i had them stacked that way. its been a while since i put them on. im sure i had a reason, just to scatterbrained to remember it lol.