• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer front dress help

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
What's the purpose of using all the washers under the bolt heads? Aren't they there in case you need to space OUT the bracket, or space IN the pump?
Were your bolts too long?

How's about another pic, but with the belt on all the pulleys correctly?

Paul

actually now that im looking at the washers, i think there is just a flat washer and a lock washer on those bolts. that bracket is still really shiny and the picture is reflecting back and making it look like 4 washers instead of two.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
actually now that im looking at the washers, i think there is just a flat washer and a lock washer on those bolts. that bracket is still really shiny and the picture is reflecting back and making it look like 4 washers instead of two.
Haha! I thought there were more as well,,,thought maybe the bolts bottomed out or something.

Another thing that is helpful is taking a slo-mo video. I did that and could see where it started to pop off and was sure.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, washers go on head side of bracket, that should pull it out enough. Ditto get a new belt once it's set right, use old one till it works. If it jumped you have damaged the belt.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
yeah, washers go on head side of bracket, that should pull it out enough. Ditto get a new belt once it's set right, use old one till it works. If it jumped you have damaged the belt.
i had at first pulled the ps pulley forward about 1/4 inch and the belt stayed on it but came off the crank about 1/4. that should bre the same as shimming the whole bracket out right? unless the problem IS the idler.

it makes me wonder if im back to square one with the prof prod balancer and the wh pulley.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I’ve had issues with that bracket setup as well. I’m running a Sanden compressor on mine though. I had to stack 2 small washers behind the idler to bring it into alignment so that the belt would stay on.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used straight edge of metal yardstick to very correct plane of everything, then played with shims to make it all flush and plumb. Obviously, the crank pulley is the main reference point to set everything else.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I’ve had issues with that bracket setup as well. I’m running a Sanden compressor on mine though. I had to stack 2 small washers behind the idler to bring it into alignment so that the belt would stay on.
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking about doing. It seems to be the easiest avenue right now as well.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I used straight edge of metal yardstick to very correct plane of everything, then played with shims to make it all flush and plumb. Obviously, the crank pulley is the main reference point to set everything else.
I tried that and thought I was good. But that may have been b4 I switched gears and went with the saginaw bracket. If washers behind the idler don't do it ill try this again

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
loosen the bolts on bracket enough to push a washer in on the block side then lightly tighten, then check for alignment, if good, thats how many washers you need

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I haven't had a chance to do anything yet but I did take a couple more pics. The idler doesn't look as crooked in person as it does in the pics but it may still not be spaced right.

Attachments

• 20240202_183400.jpg
    20240202_183400.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240202_183317.jpg
    20240202_183317.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 33

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
could be me or the view of the pics, but it looks like the drivers side is out further.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
If you can, put a flat level or metal stock or whatever you can flat on the crank pulley on two edges so you know it's square.

maybe that will help you be able to tell what's up.

If you can do that, you can try moving it over to one of the other pulleys and compare.

I would bet that tensioner is fine but it looks off cause that driver's side is out too far.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Haha, yeah, maybe that's why it looks like it's out on that side!!!

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
If you can, put a flat level or metal stock or whatever you can flat on the crank pulley on two edges so you know it's square.

maybe that will help you be able to tell what's up.

If you can do that, you can try moving it over to one of the other pulleys and compare.

I would bet that tensioner is fine but it looks off cause that driver's side is out too far.
It prolly does look like that and it may be .
Put the belt back on the PS pump pulley, and take a nother picture.

View attachment 918654
Yea I've been trying to get that message out. That does make the pic look that way. I wanted to put it back on and THEN take pics but i didnt have time. I posted pics alittle prematurely but it's been one of those days I can't even get 5 min. On my phone to clarify that. Nice catch!