• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fast N Loud

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I liked the truck, the color choice, wheel choice, stance, cut, motor, mostly everything. I would have chosen a different inset for the seats, but all in all a good looking rig. Entertainment value......9 out of 10. Overpriced sure, but its TV. Just nice to see the value of our rides being raised by shows of this viewed caliber. My .02. :) They could have built a Blazer and we all would have been flaming them for not building an EB. Can't please everyone.

^^ this x's 2. It's an EB on tv! Cheer up. :)

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Seriously people, be careful giving or taking this advice.

You cannot legally change, modify, remove or replace (with a different VIN) the VIN on a vehicle. It's debateable if the VIN goes with the body, frame or pair. It is very easy to do on a Bronco due to the VIN tag being on a removeable part, but that doesn't make it legal, it is VERY Gray, you aren't changing or modifying the vin plate, but you are moving it from one vehicle to another. There is also at least one VIN on the frame.

It's not impossible to get a new VIN plate from the state for a replacement tub, people do it all the time for street rods and kit cars.

If you built a Bronco using a Krawlers Edge or simiar frame, and a Dynacorn or Fiberglass tub, and added the VIN from a real Bronco, you can go to jail. All it takes is a tag agent to get a bug up their rear and force you to get a frame inspection by an LEO before issuing registration or for an auction house, professional appraiser, or insurance adjuster to look at it. It is a felony. I have seen people go to jail for changing the VIN and the new owners filing a complaint.

Even if a title is not required by the state the vehicle is sold in, it very well may be required by the next state it is registered in. Do your homework, if there is any question consult an attorney.

As a licensed, bonded dealer that gets paid as a consultant to look at this type of thing, my advice is do not try and pull the glovebox door / title trick to get a vehicle to pass registration. If we can't verify the VIN on the body matches the frame (even if its just worn or rusted away) we will not appraise, sell, buy, consign, or represent it.

[/rant] back on topic.

If you build it from scratch you are correct there could be some issue

Far as I know there is nothing wrong with repairing a body installing replacement parts or repairing a frame or installing a replacement frame

Doing both at the same time might be an issue depending on the state

But in your example you are not Moving the vin from one vehicle to another
You are simply repairing/replacing some rusty or damaged parts
The VIN stays on the same vehicle

How do states handle replacing major body parts ?????

If you started with a old bronco with a valid VIN I think you'd be fine

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Watched it on dvr this moring I like the way it turned out I would have done a couple things differnt but I think we all would have to suit our own tastes.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
If you build it from scratch you are correct there could be some issue

Far as I know there is nothing wrong with repairing a body installing replacement parts or repairing a frame or installing a replacement frame

Doing both at the same time might be an issue depending on the state

But in your example you are not Moving the vin from one vehicle to another
You are simply repairing/replacing some rusty or damaged parts
The VIN stays on the same vehicle

How do states handle replacing major body parts ?????

If you started with a old bronco with a valid VIN I think you'd be fine

It is a gray area and I would consult an attorney if I had any questions. As stated above, Kansas may care about the frame, but if you bring a car in to Oklahoma, they check the body the first time you tag it. On a Camaro, Mustang or other subframed car, the body is the frame, how much of that do you have to save? I don't know. If a subrfamed car is so bad it needs a rebody, it's generally not worth it unless its something ultra rare. I have seen just about everything but the A pillar replaced on those vehicles just to save the VIN. Again it is a very gray area, you cannot legally remove the VIN tag from one body and place it on the other, but with a 68 and up early Broncos you aren't removing the tag, you are removing the entire, replaceable, part it is attached to. Stupid place to put a VIN.

Like I said, be careful, do some homework on your state, get legal advice if you have questions, ask the your State's DMV or equivalent, and disclose anything like this upon sale.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
in texas they go by the # on the frame. say you have a '77 frame and put a '69 tub on it, it is now a '77 in the eyes of the state. that's why if you have an accident and need frame replacement, it gets a branded title as a new replacement frame has no vin and a used frame would have to retitled. it gets messy. and whats bad is you can do EXACTLY like they want and then you sell it to someone out of state, like say illinois, they would confiscate the vehicle and you get to go see "you're honor". i have a good friend in the rebuilder biz and he sold an rv to a guy with a TEXAS issued title. the guy is from illinois and is a car dealer. that guy has been running it with dealer plates for five years. he got busted for it and illinois is trying to say this $90,000 rv is a a parts only title regardless of what texas says. to make a long story short it has become a pissing contest between the 2 states and has been going on for 6 months. i wouldn't be afraid to put a dynacorn tub on mine here in texas BUT every state is different.

chuck489

Loc.
Dahlonega, GA
To chime in on the VIN issue. It is a federal standard that the VIN is matched to the frame. Example: If you put a Mustang body on a '66 Bronco frame, the vehicle is titled as a '66 Bronco. Remember the one in Bronco Driver a few years ago where the guy put a Bronco body on a Fiesta or similar frame/drivetrain? It technically not a Bronco. There are different laws that vary from state to state concerning salvage titles, building new or "kit" vehicles, replacing frames, replacing VIN plates, etc. In most states you can build a "new" vehicle by using a new frame (i.e. Krawlers Edge) and a new body (i.e. fiberglass or Dynacorn), the same way you can build a rail buggy.
The federal standard didn't go into effect until 1986, which is why they are all in the same spots now. They also use special rivets that are not commercially available. It is a crime to move any VIN plate on a post '86 vehicle. If that area is damaged in an accident, the repair shop is supposed to file paperwork with the state if they have to move or replace the plate.
The biggest thing for most officers/prosecutors is proving criminal intent. And of course there are always the assholes (and I am a cop...not all of us are the same) that just live for screwing with people. A quick check with your state's DMV can ensure you are running legal.

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I like the look, would have chosen a better suspension, seats. 45K is not bad for frame off.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ok, I'm going to pull it down, rar it and throw it back up. Stupid dropbox...