• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Filter pickup extension on 4r70W to prevent fluid starvation on extreme angles

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If you run a deeper pan for more fluid capacity, has anybody extended the fluid pickup on the filter so it will essentially never be uncovered unless you're upside down?

Got everything ripped apart, now would be the time...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Guess I need to see the difference as I'd go to an aftermarket pan which might be up to 2" deeper IF and only if I could rig up a reliable extension for the pick up...

What is the depth of a 4x4 pan from the pan rail to the bottom of the pan if someone has that handy?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Guess I need to see the difference as I'd go to an aftermarket pan which might be up to 2" deeper IF and only if I could rig up a reliable extension for the pick up...

What is the depth of a 4x4 pan from the pan rail to the bottom of the pan if someone has that handy?
It's similar to a flat pan but has a small sump in the center about 1 or 2".

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No idea how the filter mounts to that trans, but I did exactly this on a 4L60E in the YJ from Hell. Even the "deep pan" filter didn't get all that close to the bottom of the aftermarket deep pan. In that trans it was a fairly simple lathe project to build an extension with an o-ring groove on one end and the same size o-ring bore on the other. Ordered some male/female threaded SS hex stand-offs from McMaster to space down the mounting screws.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I see my response to Viper yesterday afternoon didn't post... yes, I have the 4x4 pan since it's about an 1 1/2" deep with the small "bump" in the bottom of it...

Thom, that is exactly what I was thinking of having to do. I like the o-ring idea as it obviously has to seal.

Got so many other candles in the fire on this project that I will probably not do this now but after I get everything welded up and working with the 4link, ORI, cut out old-weld in new rear fenders to accomodate 4" more wheelbase, etc, etc, etc... : )

Thanks!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
4L60E filters seal to the trans with an o-ring like seal on a short tube sticking up out of the top of the filter. I just made an extension.

OOH! 4R70W filter, its nearly the same except for no mounting bolts! Excepting maybe the dimensions my extension is a direct idea. How are those filters held in place?

71J4YTuHMyL._SL1500_.jpg

pbwcr

It was said above Get a 4x4 filter. But, if you have an aftermarket deep pan the fab an extension on the suck or inlet to the filter to match you pan.
And a stock 4x4 pan is also nice to match the 4x4 filter.

pbwcr

I would be reluctant to extend the inlet tube because we use aftermarket devices to hold the filter against the valve body. Maybe the 4L60E guys have not used these devices?