• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pump filter/pickup

GusJackson

I needed to drop the oil pan due to the great design of the oil pump shaft and distributor in my 302. Not rebuilding the engine yet. Thoughts on replacing the oil pickup/ screen at this time before I put the pan back on?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Well I would certainly clean the screen and tube while they're out .
Musta dropped the oil pump drive shaft ? You certainly aren't the first or won't be the last.
I don't remember what year it was but Ford did add a "keeper" to the shaft so it wouldn't pull out.
I was messing with the drive shaft with a "tool " to spin the oil pump and dropped the tool into the pan . Luckily I have a 3 1/2" suspension lift and the motor had been rebuilt less than 10 years before and I didn't Permatex the gasket so just a few bumps on the side of the oil pan and it dropped , hit the top of the diff housing , fell to the floor and slid about a foot .

OP
OP
G

GusJackson

The shaft pulled out with the distributor and I couldn't get it back in properly. The new shaft I ordered has a keeper. I'll probably pull the engine this winter and rebuild it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if you do regular oil changes and your PCV system is working the pickup and screen will be clean. Sludge motors get clogged pickup screens as well as everything else. I know it can be a major pain but you can replace the oil pump drive shaft from the top. The keeper washer goes on from the bottom, before the oil pump gets bolted on, so unless you are going to drop the pan now you have to keep trying to get the hex shaft on from the top. Good luck

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I needed to drop the oil pan due to the great design of the oil pump shaft and distributor in my 302. Not rebuilding the engine yet. Thoughts on replacing the oil pickup/ screen at this time before I put the pan back on?

It's not a bad design.
It's just that some get into a hurry and bolt the oil pump an pan on without giving the shaft a thought.
If you don'the put the shaft in from the bottom, you're just setting the next guy up for problems.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have good oil pressure now? If so leave the pump alone. Save the new pump for the rebuild.

New screen? Can only guess after you take it apart and look. If it is reasonably clean reuse it until you do the rebuild. Marginal, a little soak in solvent and hose job with a can of brake clean will make some nasty ones as good as new. If it is really that bad, maybe it is time for the rebuild now.