• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finished!! the rear Bodylift hiding receiver hitch/ HD Bumper!!!

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Skidplate is gonna come a little later, as I have never built a tank, but as redneck as I am I gotta try. So with that said I gotta start getting .some Stainless Steel plate to do the tank. I think i may hinge the skidplate, design is still working out in my noggin'. You are correct it is pretty HD, but I would rather over than underbuild such an important part. I know the stuff the vendors sell work. Doesn't mean they satisfy my criteria though. Well lunch is over I gotta finish the route and still ride my bicycle 12 miles home before I can get this thing done tonight hopefully;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
OK it's drying overnight!

OK got her done as they say. Letting it dry for a day or so.

Attachments

• hitch24.jpg
    hitch24.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 45
  • hitch25.jpg
    hitch25.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 50
  • hitch26.jpg
    hitch26.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 55

BigToe

Nice strong design. Hopin' to tackle a couple of bumpers myself and may have to steal a few of your ideas. ;D

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Mounted!!! So what do you think?

Paints dry and I mounted it up not bolted yet as I unfortunately have to relieve the bumper of a little metal to sit flush on the bottom mounting. Seems as when I decided to create a ledge it caused the bumper to sit to far in on the bottom. I didn't want to cut or grind on a new show bumper, but you do what you gotta. I think it turned out good thou. It sits a little further out than stock location, but it was need to allow for the 3" difference in height and the thickness of the 2"x4" tubing. I plan on making a plate that runs the span of the gap and put lightening holes on it to fill that in. It should act like a step almost. The tailgate doesn't hit and is tucked about as far as it will go, and I can still use the license plate bracket in both the up or down position ;D

Attachments

• hitch33.jpg
    hitch33.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 33
  • hitch31.jpg
    hitch31.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 35
  • hitch30.jpg
    hitch30.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • hitch29.jpg
    hitch29.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • hitch28.jpg
    hitch28.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 33
  • hitch27.jpg
    hitch27.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 34
  • hitch35.jpg
    hitch35.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 28

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Looks awesome. Beware turning those bumper guards upside down like that though. They will snag, bend, and damage the bumper. I learned that lesson in 1979.

Jeff

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Jeff if I am sitting my ass end of the EB on the bumperettes I have worse problems to worry about!!!!! This is going to be a DD so more street than trail so I should be safe. As a bumper I think even with me lowering it a few inches most cars will hit the hitch before anything else. The last few rear end collisions have ended with the same outcome, no damage to my vehicles total loss on the last 2xs I've been hit to the other vehicle.

Last edited: