• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flex plate issue with new 306 Blueprint

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Installed 306 blueprint in my 76 With auto C4. Blueprint recommended a 50oz flex plate so I ordered the recommended one from there site ( for a c4)

FORD WINDSOR C4 and C6 50 OZ. SFI FLEXPLATE | 157T​

The issue is that the new plate is a 157ct and the original was a 164ct. The bell house inv ( original is also for an 164ct.Obviously the starter is not making contact. Blueprint says that they make a starter that will work but it is on back order. I called summit and they sent a starter they said would work, but it didn’t contact the flex either.
Question is, do they make a starter to fit a 164 bellhousing that will contact s 157 flex plate?

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I know it’s not what you want to hear, but you’re gonna have to change the flexplate and torque converter or the bellhousing. Sounds like you have an original 74-76 torque converter which has the 10.5” bolt pattern. The flexplate below will work if you change the tc to one with the larger bolt pattern and correct offset. Otherwise, you’ll need a 157t bellhousing.

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...tooth-steel-external-50oz-imbalance-bppf50164

This one might work for you with your current tc

Last edited:
OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to contact blueprint tomorrow and give them heads up that they may want to be more specific on the c4 that their flex plate is compatible with.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Yep, inform them that their info isn’t entirely accurate so they can update it and hopefully avoid future issues.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, a 164 tooth bellhousing needs a 164 tooth flexplate. There is no special starter to make a 157 tooth flexplate work. This has been an issue forever.
While a 157 tooth bellhousing sounds like a fix, there are multiple versions of the C4. You have a Bronco version which has the more heavy duty C4 with the pan fill. The 157 tooth bellhousings I know of are for the lighter duty version that have a case fill. And there are differences in the attachment of the bellhousing to the transmission body between the two. There may be a pan fill 157 tooth bellhousing, but I don't know of it.

The correct fix is the 164 tooth flexplate and matching torque convertor. The normal stuff, not the unicorn Bronco obsolete stuff.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
As mentioned, a 164 tooth bellhousing needs a 164 tooth flexplate. There is no special starter to make a 157 tooth flexplate work. This has been an issue forever.
While a 157 tooth bellhousing sounds like a fix, there are multiple versions of the C4. You have a Bronco version which has the more heavy duty C4 with the pan fill. The 157 tooth bellhousings I know of are for the lighter duty version that have a case fill. And there are differences in the attachment of the bellhousing to the transmission body between the two. There may be a pan fill 157 tooth bellhousing, but I don't know of it.

The correct fix is the 164 tooth flexplate and matching torque convertor. The normal stuff, not the unicorn Bronco obsolete stuff.
Yeah, this is the way I’m gonna go. Now I just have to figure out if I’m going to pull the engine ( it’s all hooked up right now) or pull the transmission( it’s got some leaks so this may be a good time to address those.)

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Yeah, this is the way I’m gonna go. Now I just have to figure out if I’m going to pull the engine ( it’s all hooked up right now) or pull the transmission( it’s got some leaks so this may be a good time to address those.)
Pull the transmission 👍🏻

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
Deltabronco, check out the TCI 529620. Been running one for about a decade now with no issues, most recently behind a BP306. Summit has them in stock: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-529620

Pick up a PMGR starter from one of the bronco vendors and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• 1680471145224.jpeg
    1680471145224.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the advice. Got the correct flexplate and Torque converter. Figured I’d have the C4 rebuilt while I had it out. Got everything installed last weekend and plan on cranking it this weekend. Feeling good about this.
On a negative note, BP has had the returned flexplate since April 23rd and is very slow about a refund. I call them once a week for an update but it doesn’t seem to help much. I guess if that’s the only complaint I have then I’m doing good.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you rebuild the C4 yourself, or did a shop do it? Any chance they did what most do, and offer to put a shift-kit into it while they were at it? Even recommending it?
If they did, and you did, hopefully you don't have the same feeling that 80% of Bronco owners that drive their rig often do. That it's far too much now.
The stock Bronco C4 shifts pretty quick and tight already. Shift kits sometimes make that kind of obnoxious.

Either way, hopefully your results will be just what you wanted.

Paul

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Did you rebuild the C4 yourself, or did a shop do it? Any chance they did what most do, and offer to put a shift-kit into it while they were at it? Even recommending it?
If they did, and you did, hopefully you don't have the same feeling that 80% of Bronco owners that drive their rig often do. That it's far too much now.
The stock Bronco C4 shifts pretty quick and tight already. Shift kits sometimes make that kind of obnoxious.

Either way, hopefully your results will be just what you wanted.

Paul
I had a shop rebuild it. And he didn’t recommend a shift kit. He built it to OEM specs, no frills. I am having one issue though. The modulator keeps pushing back the retaining bracket and leaking ATF.