• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flipped winch through bumper

bag007

Loc.
Stroudsburg, PA
I tried searching the tech forum, but couldn't find anything specific. Has anyone installed a winch upside down and run it either through or below the OEM bumper? I am trying to avoid the huge extension on the front and install it fairly obscurely but still have it usable. Photos would be great. Thanks.

-Ben

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few have done it with good results. Not as many as have normal winch mounts though, which is probably why they didn't come up during your searching.
I'm doing it too, but don't have it set up yet, so no pics. Mine will be mounted to the crossmember of the engine, but I have to have my other engine stuff in there first (Explorer serp setup and new radiator) before I locate the winch.

I'm also going to be running it through an aftermarket bumper, so won't have the info on a stock one you need. But it's a great idea I think, for the casual winch user.
The more you use a winch though, the more you'll appreciate an up-front and out in the air mount location. Just easier to use and especially spool-in.

Hopefully someone will post up some of their pics though, or a link to other threads discussing it.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mine is upside down and backwards.

Attachments

• Bronco 239c.jpg
    Bronco 239c.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0089 small.jpg
    IMG_0089 small.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0092 small.jpg
    IMG_0092 small.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
B

bag007

Loc.
Stroudsburg, PA
I know that I have stumbled across a couple of photos with the fairlead attached to the stock bumper (should have saved them), but I can't seem to find them again. I don't plan on using it regularly, but I don't want to remove it all together and thought it would be nice piece of mind should the need ever arise.

briancave

Search "winch mount retaining stock bumper and look". Some good pics and ideas. I want to do this someday.

74fiberglass

not mine

Attachments

• hidden winch.jpg
    hidden winch.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 202
  • hidden winch bumper.jpg
    hidden winch bumper.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 200

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
That's how ill mount mine when I do a trick stock bumper overlay idea I been tossing around. The winch should fit between the frame rails and just below the radiator. Some winches have a center bar thingy on them that houses the controls and electrical crap. But the ones with just the box are probably what you need. That way you can remove that box and move it anyware you want even under the hood. Them winches are the most compact and probably your only option.

Just make sure when you push the "IN" button the winch spools in. If spool the rope or cable the opposite way you will burn the winch up because the brake will always be on when winching in and heats everything up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought that was sideways? ?:?

Paul

That is an old Hicky Sidewinder winch. And mounted correctly.

Somewhere in the past I have seen a winch mounted behind a stock bumper. Winch mounting plate bolted upside down to the bottom of the frame rails and the winch bolted to the top of the winch plate (which would have been the bottom if not for being installed upside down). C-channel with the legs down.

I think the fairlead was in a hole in the stock bumper, or maybe it was just under it? Don't remember.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Receiver mount in the front with quick disconnect wiring should make this easier to fab and keep inconspicuous. ... then put another receiver mount in the rear of the cab off the roll bar or something to "Store" the winch.

I have been thinking of doing this to recoup some approach angle and swap out the plate winch bumper I currently have... might even save some weight in the process!