• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor pan cowl lip cut or stay?

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Hi, a quick question. I am contemplating if I should cut this lip off and just let the Floor pan lay flat down for a cleaner look?

What are your thinking's?

Drivers-Floor-pan-1.jpg

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m replacing D/S and P/S floors as well. My plan is to leave the lip. It gives you the strength of the bend at the seam as well as it also allows for more place to weld. At least that’s my plan.

Randy

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I welded that side last…. Once the front, rear, outer edge and reinforcement cross-brace was welded, I cut the flange using a cutting disc on my angle grinder. Made for a super clean fit and allowed butt welds to avoid the lap welds.

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
I have been looking at youtube videos while thinking on this and found this one. It looks as the guy cut the lip of.
Video starting at min: 9:31

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Okay, Just a short follow up, for those who might be asking this question later.
I did cut the lip off. The Floor plate now seats properly.
I am not worried about losing strength as it is plenty strong

Driverside-fit-2.jpg

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Okay, Just a short follow up, for those who might be asking this question later.
I did cut the lip off. The Floor plate now seats properly.
I am not worried about losing strength as it is plenty strong

Driverside-fit-2.jpg
Good to know, @Geiri. This has me seriously contemplating the same thing with mine.

Randy

papy

Contributor
were you all getting this style floor pan from? i ordered mine from DC and they cam in separate pieces floor/toe and no side lip like the one you cut off.
JP

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
So I had to grind away more of the outer edge where the lip was to allow for even better seating.
You can see on this photo that the floor plate is not seated correctly there, because the outer edge, where the lip was needs a little grinding.
Seam sealer will cover this all
Sl-pa-meira.jpg

The next two photos show the spot welding. I like to run my heat very high to make a good floating puddle and burn through, also there is less to grind.
su-upunktar-1.jpg
su-upunktar-2.jpg