• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? for those of you with the ProtoFab family cage.....

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Is the bar that's next to the doors at the front, much closer to the door window frame on the driver's side when compared to the passenger side? I mounted the foot plates the same...about 1/2" from the side panels but this puts the bar much closer to the door on the driver's side.

Also, if you look at it through the windshield, you can see the cage is about 1" further towards the driver's side that to the passenger side.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
hmm, ill have to check when the wife gets back...it has a full family cage, door bar, and seat bars

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Mines pretty close to even across the board, but it is a little off in the back. Keep in mind these rigs are 40 years old and a lot of things can and have happened to our rigs in that time. I know the history of mine and it's never been in an accident other than sliding off the road in the mud a time or two so I'm fairly certain mine's pretty straight! My tub tends to sag a bit in the back so my cage floor plates are shimmed in the back, which I hear is pretty common.

I've been to Protofab's shop at least a dozen times, and I know they build thier cages on a jig, so I doubt the cage is built out of square, but you never know? Take some measurements of your cage and call Mike on Monday if you suspect the cage is off?

If you have ever had rocker damage where the rocker was pushed in that could be part of your issue?

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
There is no body repair anywhere on the Bronco other than the rear tailgate which has been replaced so I don't think it's been in a bad accident. I'm starting to wonder about the cage as ProtoFab did install one of the mid footplates incorrectly (the two holes they drilled were right behind the tube so I had to drill 2 new ones.). I will not be a happy camper if it turns out one or more of the bends are wrong.

Attachments

• CIMG6303-1.jpg
    CIMG6303-1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 88

rtreads

Loc.
I looked at my front hoop...

The foot plates are in the same spot and by the time the hoop gets up to the bottom of the window, it is slightly more toward the right side. ...maybe their bends arent 100%?

rootbeer

I have a "Overhaulin" style cage and I put padding on mine so its hard to tell as its smashed into the headliner and the sides can't accurately be measured, but I measured the lower (approx) at the height of the stock seats and there is .25 inch difference from right to left so it's not even, and I mounted my cage close enough to the side of the Bronco that I bareley was able to squeeze the stock side panels back in. But I remember it was hitting a mounting plate on one side maybe for the dual tank cover or for the side panels I have. My holes were all correct on the mounting plate. Not sure this post helps you feel any better about the problem but I would give Mike a call if you have any questions or concerns at all.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have a "Overhaulin" style cage and I put padding on mine so its hard to tell as its smashed into the headliner and the sides can't accurately be measured, but I measured the lower (approx) at the height of the stock seats and there is .25 inch difference from right to left so it's not even, and I mounted my cage close enough to the side of the Bronco that I bareley was able to squeeze the stock side panels back in. But I remember it was hitting a mounting plate on one side maybe for the dual tank cover or for the side panels I have. My holes were all correct on the mounting plate. Not sure this post helps you feel any better about the problem but I would give Mike a call if you have any questions or concerns at all.

Thanks for the info man. Mike has sent measuring instructions to the Bronco Hut (the dealer I bought it through) so I'm waiting on those. I'm very unhappy so far with the cage. The over build and quality of welds is great, but these details are killing me. First an improper mid-footplate, now this.

rootbeer

Just wanted to post an update as I made some interesting findings over the weekend while finishing installing my WH lift kit and a Protofab front Rock solid bumper that would explain why my roll cage is 1/4 off from side to side. My Bronco http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159541 we bought last year was wrecked and a 66-67 hood should have been my first clue. Bent front frame rails, the whole front end is shifted to one side 1 1/8inch, so the body mounts are twisted as well. Second clue should have been the repaint, I know this was done before the owner I bought it from so can't blame anyone but myself for not doing more homework there. It was a 20th anniversary present from my wife just to be clear and all I got her were flowers and dinner (I think I did ok ;D). Just thought I would share this story as I have seen more "original" Broncos than ever before and thought I had one, so unless you bought yours brand new you may be having your issues or some kind of similar problem and not even realize it's the Bronco that's the problem and not the aftermarket product your trying to install. I hope it all worked out for you?

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Sorry to hear about your findings....but thanks for the info! I ended up taking mine over to the Bronco Hut so that they could do all the measuring to determine what the issue was. Turns out it was a manufacturing defect in the cage and ProtoFab is shipping another one out soon....should be here next week.

What are your plans? Going to tackle the frame issues?

rootbeer

I am going to see if it can be straightened, and how many $, if it's not to much or beyond repair then yes definately. If it can't be then I might cut the fenders front and rear and throw some big tires on and call it my trail Bronco and take a trip to the Rubicon ;D

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Can anyone post pics of the dash grab bar? The first family cage I got from Protofab had the dash bar about 1/4" from the top of the steering column, then new one they sent has it about 4" above the steering column.

Thanks.

JGZ

I got a protofab 6 point cage pre welded about 3yrs.ago,Only problem is the main hoop is 2in.to wide which makes the down tubes angle in.looks like crap and makes the top a bitch to get off and on because you have to spread the sides out to do it.Big bummer!

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I got a protofab 6 point cage pre welded about 3yrs.ago,Only problem is the main hoop is 2in.to wide which makes the down tubes angle in.looks like crap and makes the top a bitch to get off and on because you have to spread the sides out to do it.Big bummer!

This may be the same problem I am having. I received the 2nd cage and it has the same issue. I think it's caused by the main overhead bar and dash grab bar being too wide, that causes the front corners to push out at an odd angle, and also causes the front foot pads to bend inward. I also noticed that the rear passenger footpad was not welded on at a 90 degree angle which makes the passenger side hoop angle outward.

I realize that it's impossible to mass produce something for these Broncos as they are all a bit different. But I am starting to wonder if no one is actually reporting the problems to ProtoFab. I don't blame them, they make an AWESOME cage...I just love sitting in the thing with that wrapped around me.....I don't like the fit though.

JGZ

Very disappointing,As one of the few parts I farmed out.I knew I should have built it myself.I had body jacks and ratchet straps just to get it placed where it needed to be,but its still to wide on the top.Lesson learned!