• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford vs Cheby rotors

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Simple question, are they the same. I'm going from Cheby disc brakes on my '75 to Ford. I have everything from the knuckles out except the rotors. Are they interchangeable?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, the assumption is that most people want to run the Ford 5x5.5 wheel pattern, so they use the Ford hub and rotor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're meaning that you already have some of the components from the Chevy conversion, then they're already Ford rotors and hubs. Same ones you'd source for your Ford conversion.

I can't remember if one of the wheel bearings is different between the two or not, but that would be something to compare as well.

Paul

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
The mid 70's chevy and ford 1/2 ton 4x4 inner and outer bearings and seals are the same. I am running 76 chevy flat top knuckles chevy spindles with f150 hub,rotor, and locking hubs. And the part numbers for the seals and bearings are the same for both chevy and ford.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I have rotors that are 5 on 5.5. Chevy calipers. One side is Ford for sure the other is a rotor separate from the hub but still the same bolt pattern. I'll be changing it back to Ford and disc. brakes. Thanks for the info.

mattt

Bronco Guru
If the rotor is separate from the hub, that sounds like the press fit of the wheel studs has worn, allowing the hub/rotor to separate. If you have 5 on 5.5 pattern, which is what you said, you have Ford front disc brake hub/rotor assy.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Besides the two piece design the "hat" (raised portion) of the rotor isn't like the other side. The Ford one is 2" from the rotor face to the stud surface, the two piecer is 1 1/2" Not to worry it's all going south anyway. I want all Ford, it's easier to remember which parts are which.

mattt

Bronco Guru
The separated, different looking, oddball hub/rotor is a Ford since it's 5 lug If you had a Chevy hub/rotor, it would be 6 lug as all Chevy's are 6 lug. Certain Dodges have the same 5 lug, 5 on 5.5, but I don't know enough about that to say anything definitive.

Keep in mind, the hub is reuseable if you can press out the wheel studs. The rotor is sold separate at most auto parts stores. So there is no reason to throw away a used up rotor/hub combo. I'd save the hubs if it were my call, even if the rotors are below spec.