• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle

Graham

I am working on the Dana 44 front end of my 74 Bronco project. I have my front axles rebuilt and they are installed .. I had to pound them through the new TBP pre-ground brake knuckles… now while setting up the load on the adjustment sleeve, it’s been damaged so I have to start over.
Having difficulty removing the axle now ..
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the end of the axle ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully you didn’t have to pound too hard.
The correct answer for installing and removing axle shafts that don’t fit through the register bore of the knuckle, is to remove the knuckle first.
It’s been proven over time that you can sometimes get the axle shafts installed with the knuckle in place, But they weren’t always designed that way.
Sometimes you just have to remove the knuckle.
In your case, though, you did get it in, so we know it is at least conceivable to get it out.
You might try rotating it in different areas, and wiggling it around while you pry from the rear, just to see if you hit that magic sweet spot.

Good luck. And watch out for your own knuckles! :) Not to mention fingers…

Torkman66

Contributor
Worked on a lot of these with same issue, especially new axles. It is normally the corners on the axles and you can easily grind off just a very small amount on each corner and axle slides in. You are taking such a small amount off it has no effect on the axle strength. You can get to it when installed to do the same thing for removal.