• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front end making noises

77broncodriver

Ive been putting a lot on here this week for a bunch of diferent things but i need to get the bronco pretty reliable by sat morning when i go off to college 2 hours away.

2 weeks ago i heard some ticking and checked the pass front wheel and it was really loose and it turned out to be the wheel bearing was toast, wasnt even noticeble almost. so just to be safe i replaced everything from the outer axle out.

I took it for a drive and it seems good, then today im trying to get something else sorted out it started ticking again, fast soft tick then a couple louder ones, mostly when i was coasting, probably just because i can hear it better. I checked and the hubs are working and nothings rubbing and the wheels tight on there and everything seems fine from just looking.

can you guys think of something im overlooking? I dont want to get halfway there on sat and a wheel fall off or get stuck 2 hours away when i need to come home. I also dont want to leave it here and take another car, hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks, Evan

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If it's coming from the same side and sounds the same, my guess would be somethings not right with that bearing. Not saying you did anything wrong, just going by law of averages.

Walk us through the bearing replacement.

Off the top of my head, spindle nut torqued to 50fp then backed off 1/4 turn (I go a touch less if the locking ring lines up with the pin). Then second spindle nut.

I've heard of bearing backing off if the lock ring pin was damaged on the spindle nut.

Could be the spring spinning inside the hub too. I've seen them do that.

How did that spindle look after the bearing went out? Was it scored?

Tim

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Without you taking it apart again and letting us know if the spindle nuts loostened up a bit, its hard to say. If it did in fact loosten up again then something went wrong. its always good insurance to check if the bearing is snug after a hundred miles by jacking it up and grabing the wheel and shaking. The wheel will provide the leverage needed to know if in fact the spindle nuts are too loose.

Like stated above first nut (one with pin) torqued to 50lbs while spinning the wheel/hub assembly the back off 90deg. Then install lockring washer making sure the pin goes through oone of the holes. Then second nut torqued to 80-100ftlbs.

If the noise has nothing to do with the bearing again then we have to head another direction. Check to see if the bearing is loose or shot again and report back.

OP
OP
77broncodriver

77broncodriver

alright, in the morning ill check to see if its still tight and it does seem like it could be that spring making the clicking, ill look at that.

and its a new spindle, on this side, everything is new

Ill let you guys know later, i might just be a little paranoid with every little noise now