• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full size axles good idea or not?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Pros: wider stance, factory disc brake at least on the front if you don't already have that, direct swap 9" third members if you already have one built the way you want. Depending on whether you're talking D44/9" or D60/D60, 14 bolt, sterling, whatever, you can get beefier factory axle shafts (with the later).

Cons: One tons are expensive to build and can be expensive to buy stock take-offs depending on what you get. HP fronts sometimes interfere with tranny pans depending on what your setup is. Sometimes won't fit on a trailer depending on what kinda tires you're running.

OP
OP

74bronco_guy

Loc.
Colville
well i have a set off full size 1/2 ton d44 hp 4.09 and 9in with 4.10 gears on hand i'll probably go 3/4 ton later if i do this swap!. thanks for the input!

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
the front axle will be the weak point and for Ford, there is no real strength difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton axle. it is still a D-44, but the 3/4 ton has big brakes and an 8x6.5 bcd.

i've messed with a few different setups and plan to just use the stock EB axle housings on my next rig with some 2" backspaced rims for more offset. gets real close to the stance of a full width setup.

if you plan to run some big tires and spend most of your time on obstacles, i'd wait to find a D60 front end before doing anything else.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Other potential cons;
May not be legal in many places. Often there are requirements that the tires are covered/not protruding past the body. That alone could make it non-streetable in many places.
I did a full width swap on a Frontier a few years back (using Titan suspensioin), which very much acts like doing full widths on an EB. I was surprised at how much road much got sprayed down the side of the body. I have had rocks thrown off the tires take out a couple of side mirrors. Don't dare drive at speed with your arm hangining out the window, the stones and even sand thrown up from the tires hurts and leave nasty welts. And after a few years, the paint on the sides is getting hammered.

That was enough to keep me from wanting to do it on anything other then a dedicated trail rig.