• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone shiped a used gas tank before

UNCbronco

Contributor
I have put a post up looking for a 23 gal. gas tank and someone has responded that they have one that they have used and taken it out. There question is can they ship a used tank that has had gas in it before. If anyone has done this before how did you ship it and who did you use as the shipper ? Thanks

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I have shipped a tank before through UPS. I had cleaned it thoroughly and dried it, and there wasn’t any gas smell remaining. Then just boxed it up.

Mrtoni

Yeah but it forces you to lie. It’s illegal to ship if something happens

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yeah but it forces you to lie. It’s illegal to ship if something happens

What is illegal and what are you lying about? I’m shipping a non flammable chuck of sheet metal!?
As long as it’s dry without smell there is no issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patterdale

Bronco Guru
If you fill it with water, empty it and let it dry there is nothing flammable left. For shits and giggles throw some dawn dish washing liquid in when you fill it. It is used to clean baby ducks from crude oil.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have legally shipped used tanks. Wash and wash. Had to pull the VOC meter from the rescue group at work and show nothing remaining inside. They would then ship.

If the shipper smells fuel they will reject. To be safe, after it passed the sniffer we double bagged it before boxing it up for shipment.

I've even prepped whole cars for air shipment. Those still have fuel in them, just very little. Typically they want to see the low fuel light on. But you can ship fuel around the world. It ain't cheap.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Per US shipping regs if it contained a dangerous commodity it must be declared. I forget the UN/ IATA declaration number. Now shipping ground vs air are separate animals all together. The key is to get the smell and residue out of the piece. In the grand scheme of things make sure the piece is thoroughly cleaned, taped off, and packaged well. The KEY is properly package the piece!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Per US shipping regs if it contained a dangerous commodity it must be declared. I forget the UN/ IATA declaration number. Now shipping ground vs air are separate animals all together. The key is to get the smell and residue out of the piece. In the grand scheme of things make sure the piece is thoroughly cleaned, taped off, and packaged well. The KEY is properly package the piece!

This man could be delivering it :) so he would know lol