• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat torture cooling system test... Exploder mech vrs Tauras electric fans...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely. A handy little tool.
Now we just need to compare it to as many different fans as we can, using the same methodology and type of meter to get some more generalizations.
Even if it’s not exactly how a factory measures their fan, it’s probably the best tool for a forum like ours.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Came across this. May try one out. the CFM rating is through a 2 1/4" core

https://deltapag.com/products/18-brushless-fan-kit?variant=32780854951998
Did anyone end up trying this fan? I cam across it and did a search here and this was the only thread I found. Saw a YT vid and it looks pretty good. I could prob also get a new radiator at the same time when I'm ready for these and I submitted a quote request from them for that as well. Seems like any time I find a decent radiator, whether on here or elsewhere, it's not available! Are they all made overseas?

My current 5.0 one, interestingly enough, is my stock '76 radiator and when I did the 5.0 mod in '98, you didn't have any choice...I had a local guy take mine apart and rebuild it the other way for a 5.0.

Any other radiator suggestions appreciated. I have a little time, but want something that works well and looks good. Or I could just paint my other one, might look good enough. It was used for like 6 months after being rebuilt but wouldn't AS pretty.

Just saw the Cold Case one...funny, it says it's slimmer as it's a 2-Row, but the 3-Row from Champion is thinner? what the heck? Did they mistype the dimensions?

VS

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't know about this particular fan BUT you can't beat OE for a fan.

Camaro's, other GM, Mercedes are ALL making excellent quality PCM setups. Brushless fan motors take (all vary) but as little as half the current of a typical electric fan. Exploder fans can draw 60amps- that's a HUGE load. I know a couple guys running the Mercedes (I was going to swap last spring but the uniqueness wore off as what I have cools 600HP easily so no need) be cool tho! :)

Check these out. I have a bunch of info on them but they are becoming popular now so info should be easy to get.

Personally I would not go aftermarket for any of this stuff. They don't have 5+ yr warranties, they aren't tested like OE, they aren't designed with probably countless hours of testing cmpared to OE and they probably haven't been used continuously in millions of test vehicles like in OE situations. Guess you know where my bias is as like stuff to LAST!!! :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That time of year again... I brought this back as a guy needed some info. Hope it helps.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I totally forgot about this thread….I ended up going with the Howe Radiator and that DeltaPag fan. Between moving my engine forward and then the way my intake is, I don’t have the room for a mechanical fan so no choice.

I think it’ll work yet we’ll see when I get there.

@Madgyver got the Deltapag fan as well and pretty sure it’s working for him.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
415hp stroker, stock copper radiator, re-cored of course, stock explorer dress-stock steel fan, stock heavy duty clutch, 195 thermostat. 70 down the freeway at 109degrees, rock steady at 195 degrees. Pull off freeway, stop at light, idle, temp stays 195. Climb 5,000 feet to Rim, 5th gear, no change in temps.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hopefully you can post up positive results from that fan after you've really put it thru a few nasty off road tests :) with a part # so others could use it if needed!
Thx

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
415hp stroker, stock copper radiator, re-cored of course, stock explorer dress-stock steel fan, stock heavy duty clutch, 195 thermostat. 70 down the freeway at 109degrees, rock steady at 195 degrees. Pull off freeway, stop at light, idle, temp stays 195. Climb 5,000 feet to Rim, 5th gear, no change in temps.
Great news AZ!!! You are dialed! :)

I'm in the same boat now (after I sold my custom Ron Davis).

Two summers ago, 115deg, cruised for 40 miles..uphill for 10 miles some of the trip was at 70mph, last 6 miles uphill was at 20mph.

Temp went to t-stat at 195 in 2 miles. Stayed there till the 10 mile 2-3 deg climb and then it barely went up 2 degrees maybe and never moved again.

600 hp, 6r80 Trans, 40"s, Exploder clutch fan (stock not HD) with the steel fan. I have pics of the steel vrs plastic on this thread. Custom Speedway build yourself FSN shroud. Sooo simple and cheap. Glad I haven't tagged it up solid yet as I'm sure I will have to change it again after my new radiator.

Just a reminder that I ran a 74 or 75 Granada 351W radiator for YEARS and it never overheated either. $250 at Oreilly's. I swapped it in after the fancy smancy RD alum radiator fiasco.

I run a Griffin extra big radiator now with the 464stroker.
On my 3rd one now due to leaks. Radiator flex/bind is not the issue. Mounts tweaking the radiator is not the issue as it sits on 24" of the rad core on foam on the bottom and has a single 3" wide mount in the middle on the core on foam at the top. No binding possible just bad weld joints I'm guessing-at least this last one is as I can see it.

I am looking into a custom alum or copper one from US Radiator. They actually suggested alum rather than copper for my use which I though was interesting after I told them my intended use.

No pics

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Copper, solid, takes a beating, best heat transfer capability. Aluminum, light, thats about it, downhill from there. They may be pushing aluminum as it might be easier for them. How about a stock 70's ford f150 460 radiator, those are huge.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
With my tubed frt end, ps box cut I to the grill I have looked into all OE radiators and the Granada & 79-93 Stang used to fit but don't anymore. :( cheap options and I moved on to bigger because I "thought" the large Griffin universal would be great. Cools 600hp great, just doesn't last.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some type of exotic synthetic bushing suspension system? So it’s never solid. Flip side is, it may because of vibration be worse than a solid mount.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Have a look at the radiators used on the GM square body truckss. There are two different heights used. With no core support and a body lift in the Bronc-up I can run the tall version, barely, if it is offset to the PS to clear the steering box. I would use the OEM GM rubber mounts in custom fabricated supports.