• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Dash Control Knobs

68Broncoz

Contributor
I am putting the dash together after painting and noticed the heater controls are not even. These are all stock controls. Is it this way from the factory or am I missing something? The fan control sits higher then the other two controls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.jpg
    IMG_4668.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 106

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Follow the center knob cable to the lever on the back of the heater box next to the firewall. Loosen the set screw on the cable and the cable clamp if necessary inorder to be able to push the knob in where you want it. Then re-tighten the set screw securing the cable wire to the lever. You're done.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've got a loose one and the blower switch seems to be what keeps the knob from bottoming out. The loop at the other end isn't what is stopping the cable or knob.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Isn't that the "PULL FOR HEAT" knob that opens the coolant valve on the engine to allow flow through the heater core? Wouldn't its adjustment be either on the firewall or the valve?

Two different functions. The TEMP knob/cable is the one that manipulates the heater control valve under the hood.
The PULL FOR HEAT knob only opens and closes the damper door in the plenum.

So the PFH is for "air flow" while the TEMP is for "coolant flow" through the core.
But then you knew that. Just forgot.;D

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
No, I'm just not that familiar with the original controls. On Frank's '75, we removed all that for the aftermarket A/C system. On the '74 I'm working on now, I haven't messed with any of that yet - the owner is just interested in making it roadworthy first, before putting tires on it.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
The center knob even when adjusted all the way down will stick out just a tad past the other two knobs. I guess it is the design of the knob/switch

OP
OP
68Broncoz

68Broncoz

Contributor
Thanks for all the info.

The dash is not installed in Bronco so no adjustment on the heater yet.

Crush thanks for confirming the center knob sitcks out further than the other two as designed. I drove my Bronco for years before the restoration and never noticed it before, however seem to be a bit more particular now.

RVB

Contributor
Cut off the end of the shaft about 1/8" with a Dremel blade or similar. Put the knob back on and tighten the set screw.

OP
OP
68Broncoz

68Broncoz

Contributor
RVB thanks for the confirmation that was going to be my plan,

Chris