• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help diagnose my death wobble cause

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hey guys, I feel I have made so many posts about this, but this is the first one I'm uploading a video. I replaced the upper tie rod (if thats the name) but not the left and right tie rods. The trac bar has new bushings and the mount to the frame was egged out, it has since been fixed. The trac bar bolt to frame at the bottom had a broken tack weld, that has since been fixed as well. I have a new power steering box from West Coast Broncos and no cracking along the frame, they would have noticed on install, and I looked myself.

I do have some oil leaking from under the passenger knuckle, pics attached, but I am assuming that is an unrelated problem. Is that a bad axle seal? I had west coast broncos look at it and they said everything as fine. I cleaned the oil off before I realized I should snap a photo, there was some oil by the passenger tire, I drove the truck last night and it sat for about 12 hours.

The death wobble went away for a few weeks after replacing the upper tie rod, but I hit a bump last night and it came back with vengeance, I am desperately trying to find the source, without replacing my entire front axle, I can't afford that. If you have any input, please let me know!

Do I just need a new tie rod all together? New knuckles or a rebuild?

I have a 2.5 lift, 1 inch body lift, 33x12.5 tires and 15x10 rims.

When the steering is maxed out to the right the passenger tire hits the radius arm, the the left, the riverside is clear by about 1.5 inches. Not sure if that is unrelated.

Thank you!

Vides of my shaking the steering wheel:
https://youtu.be/pNvRdclvmYE
https://youtu.be/RF_BM8tfpi0

Attachments

• IMG_6791.jpg
    IMG_6791.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6790.jpg
    IMG_6790.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6789.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6792.jpg
    IMG_6792.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 141

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
The drag link angle and track bar angle is not equal... this adds to your problems...
Try bouncing the front bumper up and down (motor off), I'll bet your steering wheel moves side to side... = bump steer = not good

How old is your tires? and what pressure are you running? The side walls look to be flexing too much...

I assume you had it aligned...correct? If so, can you post your alignment specs?

Oil leak is not related to steering issues...looks like axle seal leaking...

Good luck...

Aloha

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have found most problems are the upper track bar bushing goes out and it damages the bolt and frame mount hole. The bolt gets worn and the hole becomes egg shaped. Then a new bushing will not fix the problem, as the hole needs welded up and re drilled and a new bolt needs to be used.

I would like to see the upper track bar bushing only in a video while the steering wheel is being moved and the vehicle is being moved.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The reason the tire is hitting the radius arm is that the chassis is off center with the axle.
When you lift, the radial movement of the track bar moves the chassis.over.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
The drag link angle and track bar angle is not equal... this adds to your problems...
Try bouncing the front bumper up and down (motor off), I'll bet your steering wheel moves side to side... = bump steer = not good

How old is your tires? and what pressure are you running? The side walls look to be flexing too much...

I assume you had it aligned...correct? If so, can you post your alignment specs?

Oil leak is not related to steering issues...looks like axle seal leaking...

Good luck...

Aloha

I’ll try bouncing the bumper and see.

The tires are brand new, I don’t have alignment specs as west coast broncos didn the Work the the truck and did not provide that. I need to check the tire pressure too. From the looks of it, they seem low? Will more air pressure help the situation?

How am I to even out the drag link angle? I had a drop bracket in before and the wobble was worse.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I have found most problems are the upper track bar bushing goes out and it damages the bolt and frame mount hole. The bolt gets worn and the hole becomes egg shaped. Then a new bushing will not fix the problem, as the hole needs welded up and re drilled and a new bolt needs to be used.

I would like to see the upper track bar bushing only in a video while the steering wheel is being moved and the vehicle is being moved.

I had west coast broncos fix the egging out of the hole and replace the bushings. When I get back home I’ll try to make a video of that, I have no one to hold the camera so I have to prop it up somehow!

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A closeup video of the trac bar bushing, the steering box, and the king pins while turning the wheel back and forth would really help find the issue.

Also is looks like you need a track bar drop bracket the center the axle and get your drag link more parallel with the trac bar.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
A closeup video of the trac bar bushing, the steering box, and the king pins while turning the wheel back and forth would really help find the issue.

Also is looks like you need a track bar drop bracket the center the axle and get your drag link more parallel with the trac bar.

I’ll get the video when I get home. I had a drop bracket before, but also with a drop pitman arm, and they took it off when trying to fix the death wobble, after they originally put it in.

So just get a drop bracket, and not a drop pitman, and that will even out the track bar?

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
New adjustable Track Bar will most likely be needed with that lift and I would put the drop bracket back and weld it in place. Any slop at the hub / spindles? I can't tell from the pic or vid but it kinda looks like your toe out on the alignment. Any slop in the shaft to your ps box?

needsmoarturbo

Have someone turn the wheel like you were doing and feel the tie rod ends and the knuckles make sure there is no slop in the tie rod ends. When I had death wobble it was Tie rod ends

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I was watching the videos and it seems to me that the lower trac bar bolt is moving. It is hard to tell with the rest of the parts moving but you might watch that point while someone else moves the steering wheel for you.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Did the steering wheel move when you bounced the front end up and down?

If it did (bump steer) my guess is that your bump steer starts the oscillation (shimmy) and poor alignment drives the rest....

Your track bar drop bracket was bolted on? If so, they tend to flex...so you would need to weld those on... Better yet, go with track bar riser (welded on)...WH sells a good one.. That would get your track bar and drag link equal... Track bar risers are better as they distribute and bear stress loads better...

You really need to get your alignment specs...without that... you will struggle needlessly... and never get your truck to a point where you can truly enjoy driving it...

BTW: what tire pressure are you running now?

Good luck

Aloha

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Did the steering wheel move when you bounced the front end up and down?

If it did (bump steer) my guess is that your bump steer starts the oscillation (shimmy) and poor alignment drives the rest....

Your track bar drop bracket was bolted on? If so, they tend to flex...so you would need to weld those on... Better yet, go with track bar riser (welded on)...WH sells a good one.. That would get your track bar and drag link equal... Track bar risers are better as they distribute and bear stress loads better...

You really need to get your alignment specs...without that... you will struggle needlessly... and never get your truck to a point where you can truly enjoy driving it...

BTW: what tire pressure are you running now?

Good luck

Aloha

Front tires are at 25psi. And yes when I bounce the front bumper the steering wheel moves.

Is that a definite sign of needing a track bar riser? Would the bump steering cause the shimmy of the front tires after hitting a bump?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good advice so far. Sounds like you've done some decent detecting so far, but need more.
First though, do you have links to your other discussions so we can know what was already suggested and not do it over?
How new are the tires? Was it doing this before the tires, or only after?
How is the tire wear, or have you driven it enough to know? Your tire pressures might be fine, but you should verify wear to make sure they're sitting well on the ground. The 10" wheels might require more pressure, and 25 sounds kind of low for that combo to me. I tend to run narrower wheels so the lower pressures work well. With squishy sidewalls and wide wheels though, it might not be enough.

Hey guys, I feel I have made so many posts about this, but this is the first one I'm uploading a video.

Good to have video, thanks. Still like to go over past discussions though.

I replaced the upper tie rod (if thats the name) but not the left and right tie rods.

They look a little loose to me, but it's harder to see the details when you're steering it back and forth that fast and that little. And from so far away.
It's a great view of the whole front end though, which is good. But for better diagnosis we either need to get closer to each component, or at least get some more light on the darker bits. Hard to tell from here if the king-pin bearings or the tie-rod ends are moving.

The trac bar has new bushings and the mount to the frame was egged out, it has since been fixed. The trac bar bolt to frame at the bottom had a broken tack weld, that has since been fixed as well.

Good start right there. Trackbars are so important to the function of a Bronco setup that those mounts need to be good and tight.

...and no cracking along the frame, they would have noticed on install, and I looked myself.

Maybe. Maybe not... Sometimes the cracks in no way show up visually, until the box is back on the frame and you do that test you did, but with more range. Then you'll see the box flex on it's mount.
Yours did look pretty steady and tight in the video, so you're probably ok.
But I wanted to mention that the cracks are not always visible statically.

I do have some oil leaking from under the passenger knuckle, pics attached, but I am assuming that is an unrelated problem. Is that a bad axle seal?

Generally unrelated. Are you sure it's oil though, and not just old grease separating and leaking out of the king pins?
If it's coming out of the axle tube, then yes, it's an axle seal. But if it's just there on the bottom of the knuckle where the four bolts hold the plates on, then it could be leaky king pin setups.
And though WCB probably would have checked those if they were looking for stuff, if you're not sure about that you should check for play in the king pins. Even though that would not "cause" the death wobble, it certainly would make it worse.

The death wobble went away for a few weeks after replacing the upper tie rod, but I hit a bump last night and it came back with vengeance, I am desperately trying to find the source, without replacing my entire front axle, I can't afford that. If you have any input, please let me know!

Replacing the front axle would not seem to be a cure. Sure, some worn items could be a problem, but they can be replaced individually. And yes, if your alignment specs are way out and can't be compensated for, you might have to resort to replacing because it's cheaper than fixing. But for that we need to see the settings. Be nice if they provided you with it, but since they didn't you will need to get it done yourself.
It's just got to be done in my opinion, or you don't know where you're starting from. So it's another expense, but it's part of this equation no matter how you look at it.
Don't avoid it, just get it over to an alignment shop and get either the full printout, or a screen shot of the settings as they are now.
You can often get a discounted rate because they're not adjusting anything in this case. Just giving you the printout. Of course, if you find that the toe-in is way off, you can certainly let them do that.
Just don't let them tell you that you don't need all the numbers. You tell THEM you need the numbers whether they think you do or not.

Do I just need a new tie rod all together? New knuckles or a rebuild?

Not sure. Depends on if it's worn out or not. For this we need to see more close-ups of you working the wheel, or you need to get a helper in there.
You don't usually get new knuckles. Just new parts to rebuild the king-pin bearing setups.

I have a 2.5 lift, 1 inch body lift, 33x12.5 tires and 15x10 rims.

Do you know what the backspacing is on the wheels? Can you shoot us a pic of the side of the truck too, just for grins?
And do you by any chance know what C-bushings are installed? If you don't have that info, at least you'll know what your caster is when you get if to the alignment rack. But you won't know as clearly what needs to be done without knowing what bushings are in there now. Did WCB install them for you? Any chance it's on the paperwork?

When the steering is maxed out to the right the passenger tire hits the radius arm, the the left, the driverside is clear by about 1.5 inches. Not sure if that is unrelated.

Good you mentioned it, but as was said this is related to the lack of a trackbar drop bracket and you're messing with other geometry by not having one.
In spite of the fact that the DW's were worse, removing the drop bracket was a mistake because it negatively impacts other things. Likely the out-of-spec geometry is simply masking the issue. Rather than actually "helping" by correcting something. You MUST put it back on.

By the way. When you did the videos, was the full weight of the truck on the ground? If not, do the test again with the full weight of the truck on the tires.
It looked like it was, but I wanted to be sure.

And the next time you do the test, turn the wheel slower and go a full half-turn in each direction for a different aspect on the testing.
Thanks.

The tires are brand new

Ok, now we're getting to the area that I like to harp on. In my opinion, no matter what other components in the steering are making it worse, or even allowing it to take hold in the first place, a Death Wobble can only start at the tire(s) because they're the only thing with enough weight/intertia/leverage to actually be the root cause.
That said, it's not impossible for a ball-joint/kingpin, trackbar, or tie rod to let it happen or make it worse. But if it was only those things without the tires, then every time a trackbar bushing work out we'd have a death wobble. Or any time any of the other things wore out we'd have a death wobble. But we don't...

So, in that other discussion, if I joined in the discussion, did I recommend rotating the tires? Did you happen to try that yet?
While it's rare that a new tire will cause it, it's not unheard of either. I know of at least two people who had to take at least one tire back because it was defective.
Most of the time it's a damaged or deteriorated older tire, but not exclusively.
And the wider tire and wheel combination is more prone to it being worse, because of the sheer mass and leverage they have on the steering. Not because they're automatically bad for the geometry (though they can be), but because they have so much leverage against it.

Basically I'm going to rag on you to test the tire aspect a lot!;);D

From the looks of it, they seem low? Will more air pressure help the situation?

Might. No guarantees at this point, but it can't hurt to try. And as a bonus it doesn't cost much either!

How am I to even out the drag link angle? I had a drop bracket in before and the wobble was worse.

In spite of the wobble being worse, not having a drop bracket with 3.5" of lift is a no-no because everything else is off and you'll never have a good steering Bronco without it.
I disagree with the riser at this point though. Too much else to take into account. For now, a drop is "better" for you and you already have it anyway. Just put it back on and weld it in place as long as the two bars are parallel.
You might have to check before welding though, as your steering box looks custom? Is it a 4x4x2 with the WCB bracket/brace? If so, this could skew the precision of your match between the drop pitman and drop bracket.

I had a drop bracket before, but also with a drop pitman arm, and they took it off when trying to fix the death wobble, after they originally put it in.

The point of using both is to keep the geometry as close to stock original as possible. Changing the angles to be no longer parallel introduces all sorts of other issues. I'm sure WCB knows this, but was trying everything to rid you of your main problem.
But in my opinion it was just masking and going the wrong direction because you need the two bars to match as closely as you can get them.
You also need them to be at a lower overall angle. The steeper they get, the worse your steering and bumpsteer get. The more out of parallel they are the worse your steering feel and bumpsteer get.
The fact that it helped the DW is secondary. Just like a buddy's Bronco that the PO had put two steering stabilizers at opposing angles so they would literally bind up the steering. Sure, it stopped 90% of the DW's, but practically ruined the steering linkage in the process. Putting stress on the box and pump were not great either, but at least he didn't have to replace them.

So just get a drop bracket, and not a drop pitman, and that will even out the track bar?

No. Well, yes it will lower the trackbar, but you can clearly see that they are both needed in conjunction with each other to even the bars out.
Basically even on total full-custom chassis setups with whatever modifications, the two bars need to be:
1. As close to the same length as possible.
2. As close to parallel as possible.
3. As low of an angle as possible.
4. As close to the same plane as possible (hence the riser not being the perfect solution in your case).
5. As robust as possible, given the much larger tires than stock. This is where aftermarket replacements come in handy.
I bet if you put the camera on the linkage during a death wobble incident you'd see the tie-rod flexing like a rubber band and increasing the effect. Ok, so maybe not like a rubber band, but you get the picture.

A few things left to check then. You've done most of it, but maybe look at a couple of new aspects to it.
Also what about the tires? Did you happen to rotate them front to back yet?
If not, take one side at a time and alternate the front and rear tires. Leave the other side where they are at first. This can help isolate the problem if it's only one tire.
If it does not go away, then leave the first two where they are and rotate the other side front to rear.

That's assuming it is a tire of course. But since it can easily be a tire (even a new one) it's worth a shot. If you have a bad one, putting it on the back will get rid of the death wobble 100%.
If you have two bad ones, it can still get rid of it. But if you have three, then you're SOL until you get them replaced.

If they're still under a warranty, you might be able to get it/them replaced still. Assuming they believe you and can find the trouble.
Not sure if a road-force balancer can detect an internal fault with a tire, but with the more modern crop of balancing/testing machines, it's possible.

Good luck.
Looking forward to more videos and pics!

Paul

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
DirtDonk,

Thank you so much for such a lengthy reply, I am going to do my best to answer everything.

Here is my previous thread and discussion, I did everything that was advised
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283585

This was happening before I changed the tires and rims, the truck had the 2.5inch lift, but not the body lift. I had 15x7.5 rims with 31x8 wheels, and still had death wobble. This discussion was after I put a drop pitman and a drop bracket. I have attached a photo from that setup. I have since removed both, as a local bronco shop here ASC in Venice, advised that they be removed. since the truck has a 2.5 inch suspension lift.

The tires have approximately 1000 miles on them, so not enough wear to know what is happening.

Close up videos of each bushing, ball joints, knuckles, power steering box

Passenger side ball joint (tie rod)
https://youtu.be/euY0Kl0k94g

Driver side ball joint (tie rod)
https://youtu.be/wGwdV_pztuc

Upper Trac Bar mount and bushing
https://youtu.be/JhYuvP3THek

Lower track bar bolt and bushing
https://youtu.be/JFidCVXZHRw

Power steering box from the top
https://youtu.be/6vaL8WnX704

Power steering bracket from below
https://youtu.be/HHAKh7E-ucU

Bump Steer when pushing down on the front bumper
https://youtu.be/4mDx9JQW_4k

Close up of steering geometry
https://youtu.be/y5mZVxK1UGI

Intermediate steering shaft play (WCB said the tightened it up and it is good)
https://youtu.be/6Tj1nl7fhP0

I am hoping to get time this week to take it to an alignment shop so I can get the specs, as that seems like it will help a ton. If it is completely off, show dI have it aligned? What should I have it aligned to?

Here are the dimensions of my wheels:
Wheel Size: 15x10
Bolt Pattern: 5 on 5.5
Offset: -46
Backspace: 3.625

The power steering box is what West Coast Broncos calls their, Rock Crawler Power Steering. I am not 100% sure it is 4x4x2

West Coast Broncos took the drop bracket and drop pitman off and kept them, since they swapped on a used upper tie rod. So I either have to buy a drop bracket or a riser.

I have not rotated my tires yet, as I had the same issue before I put this wheel and tire combination on the truck.

I have also attached photos from all around my truck, so you can see the wheel set up. I also included a picture of the orientation of the steering wheel when the tires are straight, as it is slightly off, and not center. (sure thats not a factor).

Unfortunately my street slants to the side, so the truck looks like it is leaning to the driver side, I assure you it does not do that on level ground.

All videos are with the full weight of the truck on the ground.
I did lift the front end to get the wheels off the ground. I tried the shake then side to side and up and down. They had no movement what so ever, except moving my steering linkage, there was no wobble per say.

I hope I answered everything, and will get the alignment specs as soon as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpg
    IMG_6824.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6817.jpg
    IMG_6817.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7204.jpg
    IMG_7204.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Very nice bronco, brutha...

Getting your alignment specs will help you alot!

Is your front drivers side spring (lower) mount bent? The part the springs sits on and fastens down with two bolts to the top of the radius arm... It looks like its bent pretty good, putting the spring in an unusual "side tension" (I just made that term up...don't know what else to call it)
It is seen in your "Upper track bar mount" video...

Also, looks like the lower track bar bolt moves side to side??? just a little ...or is it just the way the camera is set up? Might want to remove the track bar and take a look to see if there are any cracks in the weld between the bolt and the mount...You definitely do not want that to break off when driving...

Good Luck

Aloha

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Very nice bronco, brutha...

Getting your alignment specs will help you alot!

Is your front drivers side spring (lower) mount bent? The part the springs sits on and fastens down with two bolts to the top of the radius arm... It looks like its bent pretty good, putting the spring in an unusual "side tension" (I just made that term up...don't know what else to call it)
It is seen in your "Upper track bar mount" video...

Also, looks like the lower track bar bolt moves side to side??? just a little ...or is it just the way the camera is set up? Might want to remove the track bar and take a look to see if there are any cracks in the weld between the bolt and the mount...You definitely do not want that to break off when driving...

Good Luck

Aloha

Local Boy,

Thanks! It has been a long process. And this is the last part that is killing me.

I have attached pics of the front and back view of the driver side spring cup, and then a front view of the passenger side for comparison. When I look at it, I don't know if it is bent or not.

As for the trac bar bolt. I was wondering it it was moving as well, but count tell, I will mount my camera if I can above or below it to the truck, so I can see if it shimmy. I did have a broken tac weld on the bolt head, that WCB did fix. I looked and it does not seem broken again. Maybe for safety sake I should torque down the nut a touch more.

EDIT: Here is a video from above the trac bar, the camera is mounted to the axle, so it is stationary. looks like it does wiggle. So that would mean that my tac welcome broke again? it is covered in new weld, so I can not even really see the bolt. but WCB did re tac it. Maybe it isn't tight enough? Can I torque it down extremely tight? Or what would my option be?
https://youtu.be/dYhmLegfKRA

Do the tie rods look normal to you?

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpg
    IMG_6837.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6838.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
To me it looks like the lower track bar bolt is broken loose. take off the track bar and see if it is wiggly its supposed to be welded in place.

the suspension connections look good and nothing of suspect.

the alignment of your steering link and the track bar is bad. you either need to raise the track bar mound at the axle or lower the track bar mount at the frame.

Your toe in looks to be toe out which id bad but you cant really tell from photos.

You need to jack up the axle and with a prybar under the tire and ground and see is you can wiggle the king pins.

cant tell if the caster is in range as poor caster makes the truck darty with little steering input. Your new power steering system and your lift need more caster than the factory setting for your stock truck (2 degrees) power steering needs at least 4 degrees so if they say caster is good. Before even paying and dealing with alignment have your front tires speed balanced looking not only for balance but make sure your tires and rims run true. As other posters have said it starts at the tires and works its way out through the steering components from there. Check this link from BC Broncos to easily check for toe in.

https://bcbroncos.com/wp-content/uploads/alignment_a2fe6724-7b60-4499-9fab-2ef590e581d2.pdf