• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me diagnose my tranny (NP435) / clutch problem?

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
First off, I bought this bronco and only drove it home. It drove alright, but was very hard to get into 4th gear (NP435). I pull the tranny and the 3rd-4th gear synchro was broken laying in the bottom of the tranny. Also, the clutch was a little jumpy and jerky. Everything else seemed fine.

- I replaced the 3-4 synchro.
- I replaced the clutch and resurfaced the flywheel.
- I adjusted the clutch to where there is just a little play in the pedal, but the bushings are worn pretty bad on the linkage to the clutch fork. I am going to replace them, but have not yet.

Ok, put it all back together and now when I am driving and push in the clutch, it will roll and then feel like it is grabbing again. I mean to the point that it chirped the tires with the clutch pushed in while I was rolling backwards. Also, sometimes it will get stuck in a gear (while I am at a dead stop or rolling) and I will have to let out the clutch slowly and then it will finally grab and jerk/unload and then I am able to shift out of that gear and into another gear.

I am hoping this is just an issue with the clutch adjustment, but never had anything like this happen. Anyone give me some trouble shooting tips to pinpoint the problem? Thanks.

I a

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Check your clutch linkage pivot points, seems like they're loose.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Madgyver said:
Check your clutch linkage pivot points, seems like they're loose.

Yes, they are. The bushings are hammered and I am waiting on new ones. But I have adjusted the play out to where it seems to take the bad play out of the bushings. But maybe that is not possible since they swing in an arc. When my bushings get here, I will retry it again.
Any other ideas? Is the tranny probably ok since it seems to drive fine, just not shift and feels jumpy when the clutch is pushed in?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
beyer05 said:
Any other ideas? Is the tranny probably ok since it seems to drive fine, just not shift and feels jumpy when the clutch is pushed in?
It's jumpy because the clutch is not engaging properly. Fix the clutch linkage problem and it should go away.

Also you can use short pieces of copper tubing/pipe to use for a temporary fix in place of that bushing. Just cut it the same length as the bushing and split it in the middle so you can wrap it around the pivot, If you need more just add until it fits into the shaft. Let it have a little play but not too much to where the clutch rod could fall out.

I've used this method to bush up alot of things, It's a soft metal that easy to work with. You can anneal it to make it more softer. Copper pipe has more use for it than you think. it's not just to run water.
I've used it to bush my tailgate.
On one of my EBs It's still in the pivot for the clutch, more like a temporary/permanent fix!

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Update: I have not put bushings in the pivot points yet, but I adjusted out all the play and here is what it is doing now:
- Maybe a little drag still while the clutch is pushed in
- When I am driving in 3rd gear and I push in the clutch to shift, it will NOT come out of gear. Now if I let out of the clutch and gas and tap the gas it will come out. It will shift into 3rd no problem, just not out. This si the only gear this occurs in. Why is this?
- It will NOT downshift into 2nd gear without grinding unless I am at a COMPLETE stop.

These last 2 items are making me think maybe the tranny, not the clutch. Any ideas on this?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Pull the cover and check if the shift rods is in sync. Test it throughout all four gears and make sure they are lined up going in and out of each gear.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Madgyver said:
Pull the cover and check if the shift rods is in sync. Test it throughout all four gears and make sure they are lined up going in and out of each gear.

Make sure they are lined up with each other? Aren't they held in place by the cover so they can ONLY move forward and backwards?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
They are all inline whan your in neutral.
Put the shifter in and cycle each gear. Watch the shift rods if it does something that it shouldn't be doing.

When you put the cover back on make sure the forks are in the right place.