• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High capacity fuel tanks with/without EFI

doogie928

Does anyone know if it's possible to install a high capacity fuel tank with the standard fuel sending unit and mechanical fuel pump, then in the future, use the same fuel tank for the Fitech system?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hazegray

If you buy a tank specifically built for an in-tank fuel pump, then I cannot answer that question.

If not, then you are almost stuck with an inline fuel pump. You can modify the tank, but that's if you have the skills necessary.

I bought my 23 gal tank years...years ago and converted to FITECH recently. Not a big deal putting an inline fuel pump in, but I hear an in-tank pump lasts longer. On the upside, I used one of the tank vents as a fuel return input on the FITECH.

KeithKinPhx

I looked into that possibility and was unsuccessful. Ended up doing the FiTech with the pump in the 23 gallon tank. Tank, pump, fuel lines cost almost as much as the FiTech. The video is on YouTube. Search = Rising Phoenix Bronco.

Update your profile to show your location. Someone may have an extra part laying around to donate/sell cheap. For example I have a perfectly good poly rear tank laying on my side yard.

Good luck.

billtammy

I did the same thing used the wild horse 23 gal tank for a year until I did explorer swap then ordered the pump to go inside. I use aux tank as extra with electric pump to refill main love it!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, the Sherman is designed around either. It's literally the same tank whether you have a carb and external pump, or EFI and internal. Or any combination thereof.

All you need down the road when you add EFI to your engine (whether TBI or MPFI, in most cases it's the same pump) is the pump kit and away you go.

The sending unit for aftermarket tanks is what comes with them. You don't reuse your stock sender. And with the Sherman since the pickup area cover and sending unit are mounted separately, one does not interact with the other.

Paul