• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

making a high capacity fuel tank

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
soooo since i found the aux tank has a massive crack in it, i dont really want to use it any more... i was thinking of making my own higher capacity tank... what i was thinking of doing was taking 2 factory rear tanks, cutting them... and putting them together. is this essentially how the aftermarket tanks are? it would be mainly taller, not wider. the first tank, would have the angled bottom cut off and the second tank would have the top cut off then both welded together.

any thoughts? and of course if you all think this is a good idea, i need to find another stock rear tank in the Portland area :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It would probably just be easier and better to build a tank from scratch instead of trying to cut and patch 30-40 year old tanks together.

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
well the hardest part would be getting the sender unit to fit, and the filler necks and vents, thats why i was thinking of just using two tanks and making them fit, and filling in the upper sending unit hole...
i dunno other thoughts?

ps have a 1 inch body lift so there is a little more room in there

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I agree with just starting over with a new built tank. Nothing says you have to use the existing sender or pickup tubes. I mocked up a tank using cardboard and took that to a builder as a template. That makes it so much simpler in my opinion. He basically unfolded the card board, marked the bends and was done. Adding baffles would be nice to have as well.